Social Buttons

Thread: Whirlpool "Gold" side by side light blinking

Default Whirlpool "Gold" side by side light blinking

Hello,

Hopefully someone can provide me with some guidance here. I'm kinda worried about my fridge. This fridge is a whirlpool gold series side by side. Sorry, I do not have the model# handy. This fridge isn't but about 3-4 years old. It has been working great with no problems at all. This morning, I opened it to get a drink. The light bulb on the fridge side was blinking and there was a clicking noise that I could hear. I was thinking that perhaps it was a problem with the bulb itself. So, I removed the bulb. This made the clicking noise stop. It also made the temperature setting LED lights come back on. When the bulb was screwed in and the clicking was going on, the LED lights were not on. I can feel cold air coming out. All the food and beverages seem to be just fine as cold as usual. I took the bulb out of the freezer side and screwed it in on the fridge side. This made the blinking and clicking start again. So, now I'm thinking that its not the bulb afterall.

I had to get to work. So, I just left the bulb out on the fridge side and closed the door. It has me a bit concerned. But I'm hoping it is something simple.

I would greatly appreciate any insight on this problem.

Thats very odd, a light bulb shouldn't cause a clicking sound. Try putting a new one in and see if it does the same thing.

You can order the appliance light bulbs here:
    Universal Appliance Light Bulbs

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake.

Since making my original post, I spoke to a friend of mine who does some appliance repair. He said that he would need to know which model I have. He says there is one model that has some sort of circuit board that transmits a signal to tell the lightbulb to come on when the door opens. He said that the other model doesn't have the circuit board and he would think that it might be a bad switch in the door that tells the light to come on when the door opens. If its the circuit board model, that sounds like it could be expensive to repair. I may decide to just live without the light. That would be unfortunate. I do plan to try a new light bulb just in case. But I truly doubt that will fix it. Because I already tried the bulb from the freezer side, and it still flickers and clicks.

If anyone else has an idea, I'd love to hear it.

Ok, sounds good. Yes, hopefully another tech. or member that has seen this happen before can shed some light on this issue.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hello everyone,

I now have my model number for this issue. This is still an on-going problem for me. Hopefully someone out there will have some good info to share.

Model# GS5SHAXNQ00

Does this model have some sort of circuit board in the roof of the fridge side that controls the light?

If this were a Ge or Maytag frig I would tell you the control board is causing this, however have not read of this in a WP frig., but I cannot think of anything else that would be causing these problems..control board, item # 18 on page 17...

Thanks.. I looked at the part. But I didn't see the parts price list. How much would that part cost?

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral...1265&N=1174816
    Remember we do not know for sure if this is your problem yet...however Repair Clinic will refund your money less shipping both ways if it does not solve the problem, call them to be sure of this policy...