Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maytag ice maker not working

Default Maytag ice maker not working

Hi, I searched the other threads discussing this and none seemed to fit except the man who's machine spontaneously started working when he went for the model number.

Maybe that magic will work for me?

I have a Maytag Wide by Side MZD2766GEB. The water will still dispense, but there are no longer ice cubes being made. The bar is in the down position.

I have a water filter connected to the inflow pipes, but that has never been an issue before, but thought I'd mention it in case it's pertinant. I tried changing the filter and that did not correct anything.

Any suggestions?

So its not making ice at all? Feel inside your ice maker and see if your feel ice or water in all the cube slots.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    So its not making ice at all? Feel inside your ice maker and see if your feel ice or water in all the cube slots.

Jake
    Nope. I've pulled every last cube out of that baby. I am wondering if something is frozen, like I read in another thread? Do you have an idea of how to remove the machine? I don't want to just break something by pulling on it.

So there was cubes in it, in all the slots?

Taking this ice maker out is a little tricky, as this I believe this model doesn't have the 2 screws that hold the top in, it may have plastic clips, you would need to push-up a little then out to release it from the clips, then you would have 1 screw on the bottom, then unsnap the electrical connector to it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Did this ever get resolved?

I am having the exact same issue as described above. The ice maker seems to be frozen, or stuck. I can't tell if there is ice in the trays, not really sure where to look actually.

I took the front panel off of the machine to see if it was moving or rotating at all. After putting a hair dryer on the unit to warm it up, thinking that would unfreeze whatever was making it stick, it actually went through one full cycle, dumped some ice and I thought we were set.

But alas, it is back to where it was yesterday, frozen and/or not working. Any advice? Maybe I need to remove the unit and clean it?

Quote Originally Posted by rons2112 View Post
    I am having the exact same issue as described above. The ice maker seems to be frozen, or stuck. I can't tell if there is ice in the trays, not really sure where to look actually.

I took the front panel off of the machine to see if it was moving or rotating at all. After putting a hair dryer on the unit to warm it up, thinking that would unfreeze whatever was making it stick, it actually went through one full cycle, dumped some ice and I thought we were set.

But alas, it is back to where it was yesterday, frozen and/or not working. Any advice? Maybe I need to remove the unit and clean it?
    Hi,

Whats the model# of your refrigerator? Its located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

The model number is MZD2766GE* I believe. The ice maker unit looks to be attached to the side wall of the freezer.

Ok,

What postion is the ejector blades at? pointing straight up, down, 3'oclock, 9'oclock?

Feel inside your ice maker for cubes, are there any? full? half full? overfull?

Here's the ice maker for your model:
    Manufacturer's Number: D7824706Q
    icon
    icon
    iconD7824706Q

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

The prongs seem to be horizontal, level with the tray, pointing to the right, and there doesn't feel like there is any ice in the trays, but I can't quite get my fingers into all of them to check.

When I used a hair dryer to try and thaw things out, it started to work again and the prongs went into the up position. But when they rotated back to the horizontal position, they seemed to stick again.

I am 99% confident that there is just some ice build up or something in there, because you can sort of here the clicking noise as if it were stuck on something, similar to what you here if the tray is trying to dump, but a cube gets in the way.

The link to the product helps. I think I will endeavor to remove the system tonight, so I can get a better look inside, and maybe thaw out whatever is in the way. If I break it, oh well, it was not working anyway

Yea, Take the ice maker out, and look at it closely. These are abit tricky to come out as they only have plastic support clips that hold the ice maker in place, not screws like most.

So you would need to push-up a little then out to release it from the clips, then you would have 1 screw on the bottom, then unsnap the electrical connector to it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast