Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do new GE top loaders still use WH38X10002?

Unhappy Do new GE top loaders still use WH38X10002?

Pegi or any of the service tech's out there! Can anyone out there verify if the new GE WPRE6100 and WPRE6800 top load washers still use the failure prone WH38X10002
    transmissions with the built-in brake? If this cannot be answered by the readership can someone at least give me a GE call-in number which I get get a technical question answered? I've scoured all the GE web sites and none of them have technical call-in number leaving the customer care numer which is absolutely useless to me.

Default Phone numbers

Hers is a couple of phone numbers, I will see what the tranny number might be in a few..
    1 800 626 2000
    1 800 386 1215
    I have not used them so not sure if still valid or not...

Default Nothing I have seen before...

Ok this washer is nothing like I have seen before, shows a "shaft & Mode Shifter Asm" where I would have expected to see a tranny, WH38X10015
    Guess this would be a no to your question, do not know if this is a good thing or not.

Default See if this works...

See if this link works, is the breakdown pages and part name and numbers for your washer I believe, would need the complete model number to be sure, this came up using WPRE6100*

Unhappy Thanks Pegi!

I finally got hold of a live GE voice with some documentation. FYI, I called
    1-888-348-7563 and found out both models WPRE6100G0WT and WPRE8100G0WT are new 2007 model years using a non WH38X10002 top load transmission. I'm still looking for reliability ratings for this WH38X10015 but have nada. Kind of interesting with the exception of the 2 model mentioned above every other top loader sold today is using the same failure prone WH30X10002. If you find any more info related to this WH38X10015 sned it over to me as I'm really interest in how it would be a major improvement over the WH38X10002. Still look's like a bear to remove and replace?

Default Not much info yet

This is all I have found so far in a tech only forum....
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    the machine is a direct drive design, no transmission (according to saleswoman). It has the standard GE dual action agitator that makes a complete 360 degree stroke. It has an excellent warranty - 5 years on the suspension and electronics, and 10 years on the direct drive motor and outer tub, lifetime on the stainless inner tub. But you have to read the literature to realize that this machine is different from the standard GE top load fare. Also supposedly almost completely silent when running. Seemed like a very solidly built machine. Controls have a nice, weighted, quality feel to them....doesn't seem cheap and flimsy. I think it's an 800 RPM spin speed, too. The matching dryer has a stainless drum, and seems similarly well constructed, though it's the standard CAMCO design dryer like the rest of the GEs.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Seems like a F & P design to me, but do not know...

Default Pegi Rules!

First off, lest I forget my manners completely let me start off by thanking you personally for taking the time and patience to respond back to all my questions and concerns. You last response makes me feel more confident I made a proper "informed" purchase just so long as I don NOT have one of those WH38X10002 top load transmissions in my new washer. As for your last response, yes, this GE WPRE6100G0WT is the quietest top loader I have used out of all the ones tested and researched. I especially like what you stated about the 5/10 year parts warranty on the washer even though it is for parts warranty only and NOT labor included but I can live with this. I'll "bite the bullet" having to consider replacing the direct drive components so long as GE meets me half way by warrantying the parts. While I would have loved to have also gone with a front load high efficiency model my laundry room is quite small along with the entranceway making it mandatory one of the dimensions of either the washer and dryer be 26.5 inches or less just to be able to make it into the laundry room. Bummer as this seriously limits my ability to go high tech alternatives costs set aside. I normally purchase parts via ebay and whenever I have to open up any appliance I go in "armed for bear". High cost items such as main drive motors, timers, and electronic control panels are normally scarfed up by me on ebay whenever I can get then "10 cents on the dollar" which has happended quite often. For example I have a 30 year old Maytag model DG608 gas dryer and all the service and maintenance has been performed by me personnally from the day I brought it home "new". Whenever I have to service it I literally clean out all the lint and replace all the rollers, idlers and belts. I love to tinker which was instilled upon me by my parents and this has served me well. I will finally be retiring shortly at the age of 60 once I finish getting my son out of college and with God's blessing I hope to live another 20 years. Depending on the weather and prior day's activities I occasionally find it difficult to perform heavy lifting but so long as I can get repairs accomplished by not calling someone in provides me with funding to spend on toys and other extravagances. The house I reside in was built in the 1940's and I hope to pass it on to my son when my time is up. This is a average NYC house but who would have thought it is worth 10 fold what I paid after I came out of the service. I'm rambling so I'll cut it short but thank you again for your help and assistance!

Default Too Late!!

"" I'm rambling so I'll cut it short ""
    LOL LOL LOL...too late!! ...Just kidding, I enjoy your posts, glad you feel better about this washer now, keep us updated with whatever you find good/bad/ugly about it please.....

Red face Pegi or Jake--> need info and your opinion

Hi Again Pegi and Jake-
    Been searching the web high and low and still have found nothing except whatever I've been able to glean from the GE Consumer Care Hotline. It seems all the people answering have no idea how this WPRE6100G0WT top load "direct drive" washer operates. By this I mean if this model is a direct drive model how does the agitator perform this clockwise then counterclockwise agitation?...am I wrong assuming the washer's main drive motor rotates CW then CCW during the wash cycle followed by a high spin also performed by the washer motor? How does the stanless steel tub remain stationary during the wash cycle? I do know during the spin cycyle the stanless steel tub has to rotate at high speed to extract all the wash water so how is this accomplisher?...by what part of the washer? My concern is if the motor is performing all this it will be a matter of time before the motor finally dies. I feel comfortable Pegi in her earlier reply states the washer motor has a 10-yr manufacturer's warranty. I also noticed when we wash with hot water the LED (light emitting diode) display get's pretty fogged up with condensation and steam from the hot water. Unless I am wrong, water, steam and electronic circuit panel do NOT co-exist well which sends another shudder down my spine. A 5-yr warranty on the electronic control panel is simply not enough. If either of you can get me a part number of a complete WPRE6100G0WT control panel I'd appreciate it greatly. I'm hoping to lurk around ebay eventually sourcing a extra panel...please advise

Smile Got one better...

This is from the GE site for your model number posted here....have you thought about an extended warranty??
    CLICK HERE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast