October 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM
KitchenAid Fire Hazard?
My KitchenAid dishwasher caught on fire four days ago. It was bought in 2004. The store it was purchased from said that they had another person within the last week who had the same problem with the same model year, but not the same model. Is anyone else hearing about or have you had this problem? Luckily, my wife heard strange noises and was able to catch it early enough where the damage to my kitchen was limited. Kitchen Aid said they are sorry to hear about this and would be happy to prorate the price paid and apply it to a new dishwasher. Really standing behind their product.
Last edited by ars2001; October 15th, 2007 at 12:21 PM.
Reason: edited to correct spelling
October 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I have not heard of this with the WP's, perhaps someone else has however...
November 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Mine had a fire too.
I had been working downstairs. When I came back up to the main floor I could smell burning plastic and electrical components -- and I could see a small amount of smoke in the air. It choked my throat. The smell was coming from my Kitchenaid (purchased in late '03) dishwasher. I turned the thing off and called my usual appliance repair company, who sent a guy over. Everything looked fine inside the dishwasher -- no melted plastic utensils, nothing stuck on the element. So I had the repair guy run it for a while. The burning smell showed up a few minutes later, so he took off the control panel. Lo and behold, the circuit board was partially burnt, along with some connected high voltage wires. He said, "It's a good thing you were home when this happened, it would have burned your house down." Nice.
I'm calling Kitchenaid tomorrow to see what they propose.
November 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I have not heard of this with Kitchen Aid dishwashers only Maytag dishwashers. When you contact Kitchen Aid, (Whirlpool) try mentioning the word "lawyer".
OWNER RICK'S APPLIANCE REPAIR
APPLIANCE TECHNICIAN FOR 29 YEARS
ONLINE SERV TECH: ApplianceBlog.com
CERTIFIED TYPE 1; TYPE 2.....REFRIGERATION SERVICE E.S.
November 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM
What model or series are starting on fire? I was just given a KUDP01DLWH1 and was going to install it in place of my GE that is acting up.
November 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM
WTF... I installed the DW on Sat.. I ran a cycle through it to check for leaks, test it out, etc.... It seemed to work fine. Sunday morning, I was cleaning up, and loaded a few things and ran a rinse cycle... A bit later, I ran another rinse cycle.. I had the jet dry tray open to clean it out. Someone had put soap in it and it was gummed up. Got it all cleaned out and loaded in some soap, and ran a cycle. About 10 min into the cycle, I saw sparks on the right hand side of the control panel. It was smoking. I openend the door, and it stopped. I couldn't believe it, so I started it back up, and sure enough, it was sparking. I opened the door, and then shut the breaker. I took the cover off the control and the main power connector to the board had burnt, and the spade terminal for the tan wire was melted off the board. The plastic connector is melted as well. I'm not the original owner, and I'm sure it out of any warranty, but is anyone aware of a recall?
Last edited by bubbaK; November 18th, 2007 at 10:08 PM.
July 15th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Report KitchenAid dishwasher fires here
I am collecting KitchenAid dishwasher fire incident reports here:
KitchenAid Dishwasher Fire | KitchenAidFire.com | Unsafe Consumer Product | Whirlpool Needs Recall |
In hopes of pushing for a recall/and or/class action.
Problem: KitchenAid dishwasher fires
Product design/defect causes predictable opportunity for control circuit board failure leading to fire.
Also please report your dishwasher fire directly to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission toll-free Hotline at 1-800-638-2772
January 29th, 2011, 10:30 PM
My kitchenaid dishwasher had an electrical fire
My 7 year old KitchenAid dishwasher caught fire in Jan. 2011. Control Board melted through the plastic. Lots of smoke and burning plastic smells filled house. It was a KUDP01IL model. Kitchenaid Customer Service was totally useless, unconcerned, and unhelpful. All they could tell me was that there was no recall on the product and sorry you had a fire. I was quite surprised. Is this normal Customer Service from KitchenAid? From the web, it looks like others have had fires as well. Is there someone else I should report this to?
January 30th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Just call that phone number above.
When you call KitchenAid, ask for customer relations and they should be much more informative and make a report on it, they may even send a tech. out free of charge to verify the fire.
Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present
Look-Up & Order Parts
By scottcly in forum GE/Hotpoint
Last Post: October 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM
By Pete V in forum KitchenAid
Last Post: April 9th, 2007, 01:34 AM
By carwasher44 in forum Buy, Sell or Trade
Last Post: December 30th, 2006, 02:23 AM
By goofykindadufus in forum Ranges/Ovens
Last Post: December 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM
By Jake in forum GE/Hotpoint
Last Post: January 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, you can throw a buck or two in the Appliance Blog Tip Jar - Thank you!