Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowing freezer - warm refrigerator

Exclamation Snowing freezer - warm refrigerator

I have a Kenmore Coldspot model#106.74252400. About a month ago it started to look like it was snowing in my freezer. Snow on ice tray (don't have ice maker hooked up) and all over everything else. I have only had this refrigerator for 3 years. About 3 days ago still snowing in freezer but now the refrigerator part is warm. Sometimes when I open the freezer it looks like a white out. Cold "smoke" blowing around. I paid enough for this you would think it would last more than 3 years. Can someone please help me. Thank you in advance. I am handy but I would need step-by-step instructions. Also I cannot find my manual. Thank you again.

The snowing condition is usually related to an air leak, check your door gaskets for air leaks or gaps thats letting warm kitchen air in.

Its like clogged up your return air ducts from your refrigerator so thats why its not cooling your refrigerator section.

Take the food out of the freezer, then take off the inside back panel#16 here:
    http://www3.sears.com/imaging/ImageP...&titleID=00002
    Then check your air duct diffuser#26 for ice/frost clogging.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by nygiantsfan View Post
    I have a Kenmore Coldspot model#106.74252400. About a month ago it started to look like it was snowing in my freezer. Snow on ice tray (don't have ice maker hooked up) and all over everything else. I have only had this refrigerator for 3 years. About 3 days ago still snowing in freezer but now the refrigerator part is warm. Sometimes when I open the freezer it looks like a white out. Cold "smoke" blowing around. I paid enough for this you would think it would last more than 3 years. Can someone please help me. Thank you in advance. I am handy but I would need step-by-step instructions. Also I cannot find my manual. Thank you again.
    Well, the first thing to do is empty the box, shut it off, and let it sit overnight to melt the snowstorm. Then check very closely for air leaks. Any chance you have the in-the-door ice dispensor? If the trap door where the ice comes out is open even the slightest amount, it will frost up the freezer section. The defrost system is probably ok, but it can't keep pace with an air leak. Since you're going to have it off for a while it's a good time to clean the interior as well as clean the coils underneath. Take off the front kick plate to access the coils. You should also find the tech sheets behind the kick plate as well. Then pull the fridge out, remove the back cover,clean the coils from the back, clean off the fan blade and clean out the drain pan. Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by daddyjohn; October 18th, 2007 at 02:28 PM.

Exclamation snowing freezer-warm refrigerator

I cleaned out the refrigerator and freezer. Cleaned the coil in front - how disgusting, thick layer of dust and gunk. I now turned off the refrigerator part to OFF. Do I turn the freezer knob to OFF? Then what do I do after that. Also how would I check for leaks if the refrigerator is off. I don't want to sound stupid but I think I am asking the right questions. Thank you. Oh also do I have to unplug the refrigerator? I still have it plugged in.
    Last edited by nygiantsfan; October 24th, 2007 at 05:46 PM.

I cleaned out the refrigerator and freezer. Cleaned the coil in front - how disgusting, thick layer of dust and gunk. I now turned off the refrigerator part to OFF. Do I turn the freezer knob to OFF? Then what do I do after that. Also how would I check for leaks if the refrigerator is off. I don't want to sound stupid but I think I am asking the right questions. Thank you.

Take a look at the door gaskets- any tears/rips? Do the doors seal ok? Not warped? Do the door gaskets fit good all around the box when the doors are closed? Are the ice and water doors on the freezer door closed tightly? Did you check the things Jake suggested? Did you shut box off overnight with the doors open that any accumulation of ice on the freezer coil could melt? Did you wipe up any water accumulation inside the box? If all are ok then set both controls to their midpoint settings and see how it owrks out. If you have a defrost issue, it could take as long as a week to show up. Let us know how you make out. The feedback helps others.

Exclamation snowing freezer - warm refrigerator

I checked all the gaskets around the frig and freezer...all look like they were new. I did take off the back panel of the freezer and took a peak at the coils. Did not look like a ice build up. I had to take the ice maker on the side off. It was hanging because it is attached by wires. By the way my ice maker and water dispenser is not hooked up...never was. Do I have to unplug frig. Do I have to turn freezer knob down to off or do I do it all. Hope this helps in someone helping me. Thank you for all responses. I have not left doors open all night yet because I just cleaned it all out today. Also because I did not know whether to unplug or just turn knobs off. Thanks again. Sorry again also with the freezer knob still on and it plugged in the fan is not running. Should it be?

Exclamation

I need to add that I got the back freezer panel off and noticed that under the evaporator coils it kind of looks like a pan. It is filled with water. There is also a hole and I put my finger in there and there was ice. There is also ice under the vent tube (2 square openings with styrofoam in them and middle opening without styrofoam)there is ice on both. This is a continuation of post #6. Sorry if I am jumbling this.
    Last edited by nygiantsfan; October 24th, 2007 at 11:56 PM.

Sorry again also with the freezer knob still on and it plugged in the fan is not running. Should it be?
    It will only be running if your compressor and condenser fan in the back of your refrigerator are running.

I need to add that I got the back freezer panel off and noticed that under the evaporator coils it kind of looks like a pan. It is filled with water. There is also a hole and I put my finger in there and there was ice.
    Clear the drain hole of all ice, so the defrost water can drain properly.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Question snowing freezer - warm refrigerator

How do I know if it is free from ice. I put a straw down in the hole and didn't feel anything but of course the straw isn't too long. It has been 24 hrs. since I shut it off. Thank you.

How do I know if it is free from ice. I put a straw down in the hole and didn't feel anything but of course the straw isn't too long. It has been 24 hrs. since I shut it off. Thank you.
    Pour some hot [not boliing] water in there and continue to do so until you melt the ice. You'll probably find the darin is plugged with a food particle or the like. A turkey baster [the kind with a squeeze bulb on it] works good for this. You'll know when it's clear coz the water will drain out. It appears that you found the problem; if the water from the defrosting mode can't drain out, that water vapor has to go somewhere- like all inside the freezer section as snow, he he

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast