Social Buttons

Thread: Appreciate any help on why 1995 side by side freezer part is not freezing

Default Appreciate any help on why 1995 side by side freezer part is not freezing

We just moved into a new house, we bought a used Kenmore side by side model (363.9552720) over two weeks ago (which I looked up was maufactured in 1995.) It was in great cosmetic shape, almost looking new. It worked fine for 2 weeks, but last night my wife went to get a ice cream bar from the freezer and it was liquid. I noticed that the freezer half is not freezing and in the fridge half things are not as cold and changing the number settings seems to have little or no effect. There is very little air flow in either of them and the entire freezer inside back wall is covered in frost. What is most likely the problem? I know this is a 12 year old model but I know it isn't all that uncommon for a fridge to last up 20 years. Got a guy coming to look at it tommorow. What is most likely the problem? And what is a rough estimate of what it might cost? Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Sevb32; October 22nd, 2007 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevb32 View Post
    We just moved into a new house, we bought a used Kenmore side by side model (363.9552720) over two weeks ago (which I looked up was maufactured in 1995.) It was in great cosmetic shape, almost looking new. It worked fine for 2 weeks, but last night my wife went to get a ice cream bar from the freezer and it was liquid. I noticed that the freezer half is not freezing and in the fridge half things are not as cold and changing the number settings seems to have little or no effect. There is very little air flow in either of them and the entire freezer inside back wall is covered in frost. What is most likely the problem? I know this is a 12 year old model but I know it isn't all that uncommon for a fridge to last up 20 years. Got a guy coming to look at it tommorow. What is most likely the problem? And what is a rough estimate of what it might cost? Thanks for any help!
    Your fridge was made by GE. It will most likely turn out to be a defosting problem. Bad defrost timer, bad heater, bad bimetal defrost thermostat, etc. It's usually the timer but not always. The defrost parts aren't too awful bad pricewise. A fridge with an electronic defrost board is where it gets pricey.

GE makes Kenmore Fridges? I guess that tells you what little I know about these things, thanks for any and all help!