Social Buttons

Thread: GU2500XTP Fix or replace?

Unhappy GU2500XTP Fix or replace?

So, I am about to go down the troubleshooting path of "not cleaning" as posted in numerous threads. Given that the chopper and check value are ok, then most of the threads say, replace the motor et. al.

At $179.00 plus time and trouble for the motor, that is almost 50% of what I paid for the machine new 2 years ago. If this were a car, it would be totaled.

So, why should buy the same motor that has already shown catastrophic failure ability within 2 years? I could buy a new unit that has *most* of the same features for around $300 and I would have a completely new dishwasher and the whole thing would be under warranty for another year.

Secondly, should I even trust the same brand? Is this motor replacement / chopper / value issue(s) I read about in some threads a fluke or a pattern?

I had a VW Jetta that constantly needed a new alternator. The guys at the shop said, "yep, that specific year they changed the alternator and we've had nothing but problems. You can't switch to the new model because the mounts aren't the same. So, you are pretty much out of luck". I sold the car immediately.

I still drive VW's but I know when a model is a lemon and when to dump it. Any chance this motor design/chopper/value system is a lemon and I need to dump Whirlpool/KitchenAid..or change the model I'm buying( mind you this is not the low end of their line )

Thanks,

Wooly
    (P.S. I've always bought Whirlpool and never had anything like this happen in 20 years..so I'm pretty irritated )

Ok, so I take apart the cover to get to the chopper and what do I find? Dozens of chicken bone splinters.

My wife and I are diligent about detergent, rinse aid but, especially NO Bones! Then it occurred to me that my 23 year-old son visited 3 weeks ago while we were out of town...hmmmm

Forgive me Whirlpool for ever doubting you. I stand humble and ashamed.

Hi Wooly,

The new motor's have been upgraded to fix this issue they were having. So if you just get a new motor that should fix it for its lifetime.

Also check your receipt of when you bought it, because your model has a 2 yr. parts warranty on the wash module which includes your motor.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wooly View Post
    Ok, so I take apart the cover to get to the chopper and what do I find? Dozens of chicken bone splinters.

My wife and I are diligent about detergent, rinse aid but, especially NO Bones! Then it occurred to me that my 23 year-old son visited 3 weeks ago while we were out of town...hmmmm

Forgive me Whirlpool for ever doubting you. I stand humble and ashamed.
    Ok, good, glad that was all it was.

I thought you had already checked the chopper screen area.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts