Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [FIXED] How to replace a (Whirlpool/Kenmore Model 106) Refrigerator Start Relay

Default [FIXED] How to replace a (Whirlpool/Kenmore Model 106) Refrigerator Start Relay

How to replace a Whirlpool/Kenmore/KitchenAid refrigerator start relay.

The example shown here is done on a side-by-side whirlpool refrigerator.

Many of the start relays
    are the same on other makes and models even though they may look a little different.

Customer Complaint: My refrigerator is to warm and I can hear a clicking noise.

My refrigerator is not cooling at all but it sounds like it is running.

Often times the customer will hear just the fans running and think the refrigerator is running, but the compressor is not running because the start relay it bad and needs to be replaced.

To replace the start relay you will need to unplug the refrigerator at the outlet.

Pull the refrigerator away from the wall so you can remove the lower back cover.

Unplug your refrigerator first!

Once you have the back cover removed you will be able to see the compressor.

The start relay will be located on the side of the compressor. The start relay shown on this side by side whirlpool refrigerator is white and has a white and red wire going to it.

Remove the old start relay by pulling it off by hand. If it does not pull of by hand easily you may have to put the tip of a flat blade screw driver between the start relay and the body of the compressor to help pry it off. Most of the time you can remove them without any force.

Shake the relay, if it rattles, then its definitely bad.

Here is the part to order(comes with instructions):
    Start Relay 8201799 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	10086 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	16793 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Views:	20862 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic4.jpg 
Views:	23120 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	240  
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thank you for the pictures and the quick response. I got the relay out and shook it. Sounds likes it's broken inside. It's gonna take several days to ship me one. Post your link to your supply person so I can help contribute to this wonderful site.

Is it safe to put the relay back in and let the refridge run and leave off the freezer side? When I took off the relay, the condensor was hot.

Also I just saw one fan. Is that all the fridge has?

opps, sorry. I just saw your link for the part. I will order today. I still need to know about letting the refridge run??

Ohh and GO STEELERS!!!! SuperBowl is today!!!

It has 2 fans, the one down by the condenser you just saw, then the other in the freezer that blows cold air to your refrigerator section.

No, Don't let the refrig. run with that old relay, buy about 10-20 pounds of dry ice to put in your refrigerator till that part arrives. They sell dry ice at certain grocery stores, or look it up in the yellow pages.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hi everyone! For my first post here, I must say I've been inspired by the advice given on this website,and I decided to replace the start relay on my fridge. It has been giving the telltale signs of decline, hum...click (off). The part (548339) has been substituted for a newer design (4318083)

My problem is the new part looks totally different than the old start relay and I'm concerned about the connections being correct. Attached is my current setup. Any advice for hooking up the new part?
    Last edited by Jake; September 21st, 2007 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie99 View Post
    Hi everyone! For my first post here, I must say I've been inspired by the advice given on this website,and I decided to replace the start relay on my fridge. It has been giving the telltale signs of decline, hum...click (off). The part (548339) has been substituted for a newer design (4318083).

My problem is the new part looks totally different than the old start relay and I'm concerned about the connections being correct. Attached is my current setup. Any advice for hooking up the new part?
    Whats the model# of your refrigerator? Its located inside the refig. section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for the swift reply ! The model# is 74822

74822 is just the partial model#, we need the complete model#. If its a Sears Kenmore it will start with 106 or 253

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Question about Relay installation

Hello:

This site has been of immense help to me in the past and once again today.

One issue eludes me however. I have a Kenmore Elite 106.50793002.

I diagnosed, using this site and the great support provided on it, that the relay had probably gone bad. I purchased the 8201799 kit.

I installed everything no problem. Except what should have been simple, the black cover!

If you look at where the new relay assembly mounts onto the 3 prong connector on the compressor, there are two wires (white and blue) going to the left if you are facing the 3 prongs head on and the two wires go to a black rectangular box that I am assuming is the capacitor. I cannot get the black cover to fit around those wires and if I press the box in place while tucking the wires in, I feel like I am going to pinch them. I took a picture but couldn't post because I left the cord at work!

So far, I left the cover off.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast