Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenmore Dishwasher goes to next cycle before water full

Default Kenmore Dishwasher goes to next cycle before water full

Model Number: 665.16912001
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Kenmore Model number 665.16912001

This will take a bit of explanation:

1. The dishwasher was not getting the dishes clean.

2. I measured heater resistance - heater was dead.

3. I replaced the heater. Case closed, I thought- but dishes were still not clean.

4. With voltmeter, I can see that heater is getting voltage and working. Trouble found: The water does not fill enough during the fill cycle to trigger the "full" sensor (the float). The heater is not in good contact with the water because water is not high enough. I suppose this is why the first heater died - it got too hot and burned out, because it was in poor contact with the water.

5. I disconnected the supply line at the fill valve and ran it into the sink. There is good pressure there. I checked for blockages in the line from the fill valve to the dishwasher tub. No problem.

6. I energized the solenoid, and water flows out at what seems like a reasonable speed, but I guess it isn't enough to fill in time. On the timing sheet it looks like the machine goes on to the next cycle after 1 min, 35 seconds, whether or not the float switch has switched. If I blow into the fill valve when energized, I can get some air through, but it isn't a lot. If the fill valve is not energized, then I cannot blow anything through at all - as expected.

Question: How much resistance should I expect from the fill valve when blowing through it? What else can I do to correct/define the problem? Do I need to replace the fill valve? Is there any way to lengthen the water fill time? I think that another minute would be enough - it's not like it is very far from being full enough.

Hi, I have had many of these dishwashers do exactly what your saying, Not cleaning the dishes, Your water pressure seems fine, and none of these dishwashers are designed to fill up over the heater, thats not the problem, The problem i find on these is the Check Valve and the Chopper in the Pump is bad.

If you check my blog: Dishwasher Chopper and Check Valve - Appliance Blog - Appliance Repair Blog Forums

You will see many entries where i have fixed this same design dishwasher.

Check Valve 8268375 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Food Chopper Assembly 8268383 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Two 2002 Kitchen Aid Dishwashers - Appliance Blog - Appliance Repair Blog Forums

Model#KUDR01TJBL0 : Not cleaning/washing well, Found check valve bad, part#8268375, replaced, worked great.

Kitchen Aid Dishwasher - Appliance Blog - Appliance Repair Blog Forums

Model#KUDS01DJBL1 : Not cleaning the dishes well, Found Check valve bad, replaced, worked great.

Check Valve 8268375 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Thursday Sept.16th - Appliance Blog - Appliance Repair Blog Forums

2004 Kenmore Dishwasher(Whirlpool built): Smell oder, not cleaning dishes well, Found check valve in pump bad, replaced, worked great.

Sunny Saturday - Appliance Blog - Appliance Repair Blog Forums

Customer was complaining of dishes not getting as clean. Installed new check valve and chopper blade assembly in sump(pump). Chopper was broken. The check valve is the small rubber flapper in sump(pump) that can stick and not allow proper water flow to spray arms. Replaced both, worked great.

The Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool uses that exact same Check Valve and Chopper.

Here is a bulletin on this issue as well, all the Kenmore 665. models are made by Whirlpool, I'm attaching below.

Its says you need to order a new middle spray arm: Center Wash Arm Assembly 8269024 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Hope that helps.

Jake
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

jgaines wrote:
    The water does not fill enough during the fill cycle to trigger the "full" sensor (the float).
    The float and float switch are just safety devices to prevent overfilling and flooding. Under normal operation they should NEVER be activated.

The heater is not in good contact with the water because water is not high enough.
    As Jake already said, it isn't suppose to be.

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Thank you very much! I looked at the chopper in the past and did not see any problems there, except that a button was trapped on the screen. I removed the button long ago. I will have a look at the check valve. I have let the dishwasher start up and then opened the door and seen that water was spraying out of the arms, but maybe the pressure is too low because of the check valve not working right(?).

Hi Jgaines,

Its most likey the check valve , that controls the water flow pressure.

Heres a series of pictures:

The check valve is just to the right of this chopper(just out of the right side picture) Pull the Black rubber check valve up with a screwdriver, then install a new one, i bet you will see it works well after that.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Nice pics!

I also learned something!

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks Jeff.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hi, I have Kenmore Elite 665.16462300.

I am am trying to find a repalcement flapper valve that lives in the feed tube assembly shown in your second photo. The check valve is supposed to be opened by teh upper spray arm probe.

In my case, one check valve is always flapped open and so hardly any water goes up and out the upper spray arm. So far, onl y the $45 complete feed tube assembly is offered by Sears or other common parts sources.

My glasses were sparkling clean for 10 months or so, and now"we" have to clean them by hand (just passed a year on installation). I say "we" meaning my wife actually finally complained to me and I took apart the feed tube, checked the grinders and screens and then found your Blog.

Many Thanks for help sourcing the part. Rob

rc-b wrote:
    I am am trying to find a replacement flapper valve
    Click on the picture of the flapper valve (shown on a grid background) above. It will take you to a site where it can be purchased.

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Hi Dan, I do not need the check valve which is what I found with the links.

I need the grey plastic flap valves, there are two each. One or the otherseals depending upon which one is opened by the upper rack when it is pushed in.

My wife uses the upper rack position, so I'm able to look underneath the upper rack, and, can see the lower flap is partially open. My belief is that this is causing water to spurt out and thus lower the pressure in the upper rack spray arm.

Sears confirmed to me that they only sell the entire feed tube assembly and they claim the original manufacurer does not sell just the grey flapper valve part.

I am re-posting the photo of the long grey feed tube. To the immediate right of the upper clip shown is the valve section. The plastic cover snaps off, revealing the flap valve piece...this is what I'm seeking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KADishwasherpump2.jpg 
Views:	982 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	36  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast