Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maytag Dryer Making Awful Screaching Squealing Noises *with video*

Default Maytag Dryer Making Awful Screaching Squealing Noises *with video*

Model Number: MDG8416AWW
    Brand: Maytag

Hi,

My Maytag dryer is making annoying screaching, squealing noises. Has been for a few weeks now and it is getting worse. The noises are intermittent and don't occur at any specific time during the cycle. Sometimes they start right when I turn the dryer on - other times it takes awhile for them to start. Usually when the noises begin they last for a minute or two then there is hardly any noise at all.

I have taken the dryer apart to try and pinpoint the source of the noise. However it is so loud that I can't really say what is causing it. I recorded a video maybe a week ago. I tried to record the video with the front panel removed but with my luck I couldn't get the noise to occur when I hit record. I would hear the noise, stop the dryer, remove the front panel, start the dryer, and the noise wouldn't happen so I'd just have to put the panel back and and wait for the noise again.

Anyways, here is the video:

The noises are much louder and more continuous now. I'm guessing rear drum rollers? The outer edges of the rollers look fine to me so I don't think the noise is coming from the rollers contacting the drum. Could it be the spindle that the roller is on? Or does that part not move?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron
    Last edited by aefor3; January 21st, 2008 at 04:27 PM.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the video, it does sound like your rear rollers.

Whats the model# of your dryer? its located inside the door.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hi Jake,

The model # is: MDG8416AWW

Also, here is another video I just recorded. I hear 2 different sounds. The sounds are more continuous and then become quieter towards the very end.

Thanks,

Aaron

Thanks Aaron,

Yes, its either your rear rollers or your idler pulley.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
    MDG8416AWW
    Diagram#6 Part location#21 is your idler pulley, Diagram#7 Part location#24 is your rear rollers.

Here's a help link to get access inside your dryer to check both your idler pulley and rear rollers:
    Read#20 & #22 here:
    http://www.applianceaid.com/maytag-dryers.html

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

The problem was with the right rear roller and the shaft of the right rear roller. The shaft was worn down on one side pretty good causing a gap between the shaft and the roller - which caused the loud noises.

I replaced the shaft and the roller. Took me about 50 mins to the take dryer apart, replace, and put back together.

I've included some pics of the worn shaft. My camera sucks (or the cameraman sucks).

Thanks for all your help!

Aaron

Yup, I see it Aaron.

Good job finding that was the issue and fixing it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Talking Thank You!!!

I just wanted to let you know how this thread has helped me! My dryer was making the same awful sound. The video was very accurate. I was able to purchase the parts and replace both back rollers and the roller shafts in less than 45 minutes AND save money!

The irritating part was that I realized I probably could have changed the belt, had I found this forum about a year ago.

So now I have a whisper quiet dryer at a portion of the cost. The peace of mind and the satisfaction of doing it myself was worth more than the hourly wage the repairman would have charged!

Thanks again!

Becky

Excellent Becky, good job fixing yours too.

Here's the roller shaft(order 2, one for both sides) in case others with this model need to order them as well:
    Manufacturer part number 6-3129480 is RepairClinic item number 1480353

Here's the roller(order 2, one for both sides):
    Manufacturer part number 12001541 is RepairClinic item number 400518

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by aefor3 View Post
    The problem was with the right rear roller and the shaft of the right rear roller. The shaft was worn down on one side pretty good causing a gap between the shaft and the roller - which caused the loud noises.

I replaced the shaft and the roller. Took me about 50 mins to the take dryer apart, replace, and put back together.

I've included some pics of the worn shaft. My camera sucks (or the cameraman sucks).

Thanks for all your help!

Aaron

Hey Aaron, you are awesome! I found your post doing a search on Google, , about the sounds I had coming from my Maytag dryer, and when I saw your video, especially your 2nd video, it was identical to mine, , both sounds, and it was irritating as hell... to the point that we were waiting to do laundry until we left and what not, just so we didn't have to listen to that horrible noise!! Anyway, , just replaced the shafts and rollers from parts I purchased and am on my 2nd load now... I just signed up an account to this forum to express my thanks and gratitude for the videos/pictures and instructions.

HELP!!
    I also have a Maytag Atlantis Gas dryer that has begun making an AWFUL high pitched squeling noise when run. I read many posts online where people were able to fix themselves. I am usually pretty handy and am a bit frustrated with this one. I took my dryer apart today and was not able to locate an obvious problem like most here were able to. The motor spun freely and quietly by hand. The rear rollers also spun freely and quietly by hand. The idler pulley was able to turn by hand, not quite as easily as the rear rollers, but was not squeling. The belt looked in ok shape. I cleaned the unit out real well and put some lubricant on the rollers and closed the dryer back up only to have the same awful squeel. It is actually even more persistent! Do I just start replacing all these parts and hope I get it? Could my problem be with the padding which goes around the housing for the drum in the front and back? Is that easily replacable? It looked used, but was not torn or frayed in any way. Besides the sound would be most persistent at the start of a cycle and taper off after some time. I would think if it was this padding gone bad the sound would be continuous??
    Could you please suggest what my next step should be? I'm going crazy listening to that sound!
    Maytag Atlantis Model# MDG7400AWW. (probably 6-7 years old)
    Thank You,
    Murph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast