Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore dishwasher model 665.15831793 not sensing correctly

Default Kenmore dishwasher model 665.15831793 not sensing correctly

I have a Kenmore dishwasher model 665.15831793 which I purchased new around 1999 and has worked well though I have had to replace a few parts now and then. Recently we noticed that the dishes are not as clean as they should be at the end of the normal cycle. I watched it closely and observed that whenever the Sensing light comes on (generally just after filling), the washer immediately drains and the timer decrements to the next cycle. I am quite sure that it used to fill with water, than start spraying the water over the dirty dishes for a period while the sensing light was on. Even if the sensor determined that the water was clean, it still sprayed the water on the dishes as a pre-wash while it was examing the water (otherwise, why waste the water). After filling, it turns the pump on just long enough for me to hear it (less than a second), the Sensing light briefly lights, then it drains immediately. This happens twice in the normal wash – both times when the sensing is engaged. In the cycle when it is not sensing, it appears to run fine. I sat down and watched a complete normal cycle and this is what happened per the LED timer display:

90-88 filled with water

88 pump started, Sensing light flashed, display immediately jumped to 82, started draining

82-80 washer drained

80-78 filled with water

78 pump started, Sensing light flashed, display immediately jumped to 72, started draining

72-70 washer drained

70-68 filled with water

68-62 washed dishes for 6 minutes (no Sensing light on during this time)

62-60 washer drained

60-58 washer filled

58-46 washed dishes for 12 minutes (no Sensing light on during this time)

46-44 washer drained

44-42 washer filled

42-32 washed dishes for 10 minutes (no Sensing light on during this time)

32-30 washer drained

30-0 washer dried dishes

>>

I do not “wash the dishes” before I put them in the dishwasher, so they are usually fairly dirty. Even if they weren’t, I would expect the washer to soak the dishes pretty well before draining. I suspect it is some sort of timer/sensor problem. I tried other cycles like pots and pans, and it skips to the end of the cycle any time the sensing light comes on just like the normal cycle. Do you have any ideas? Thanks.
    Last edited by jton; September 6th, 2005 at 10:58 AM.

Default Any ideas??

Doesn't anyone have any ideas on this? Maybe I was too descriptive and scared the usually helpful people away.... If I don't get any ideas, I will probably haul it to the dump and buy a new one. I hate to do that if there is a simple solution....
    Last edited by jton; September 13th, 2005 at 10:25 AM.

Hi,

Sounds like the pressure switch is causing this issue, bypass the pressure switch underneath the dishwasher, if it starts running after it fills and not draining, then you will need a new pressure switch, the pressure switch is the part where that rubber tube go to from the pump.

Pressure Switch also called Water Level Switch
    Part#3380871

This thread is similar to your problem:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...ressure+switch
    Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

Thank you so much for the advice. Last night I first tried shorting the two leads going into the pressure switch thinking that was what you meant by bypass. I missed the link you provided describing disconnecting (at least) one of the leads to the switch. When it was shorted, it acted exactly the same way as when it was hooked up correctly (draining immediately after filling). When I tried disconnecting the leads to the switch, it worked fine. It did act like a clean load of dishes, jumping from 83 minutes to 68 minutes, but from the link you pointed to, this is the way it works. I will order a new pressure switch and post the results after I replace it.
    Thanks again for the help!

A new pressure switch should fix it jton, good job in checking it!

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

The new pressure switch arrived in the mail yesterday and I swapped it out. It did not change anything . I tried blowing on the inlet of both pressure switches, and they both sound like the switch activates with about the same pressure.

Do you have another suggestion? I am guessing that since the pressure switch being activated early seems to be causing the problem (since disconnecting it allows the cycle to complete) and the switch is good, that the problem must be that the hose feeding the switch is sending it high pressure as soon as the pump starts. What might cause that?

Thats very odd , because you said you had by-passed the pressure switch and it worked great, that new pressure switch should have fixed it up.

The only other part would be the sensor itself thats intermittently acting up.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

Disconnecting the pressure switch definitely causes it to go through a normal short (clean dishes) cycle. With either the new or the old pressure switch installed, the switch immediately activates after the tub fills, causing it to immediately drain and move to the next cycle any time the sensing light is on. Since the pressure switch is activated from the pressure in the hose attached to it, I am assuming that something abnormal is causing the pressure in the hose. Are you saying that the pressure in the hose is normal and that the switch should activate when the tub fills and the pump starts?

You are suggesting a sensor. Is that what the leads from the pressure switch go to? Do you know where that is located? Is there a way to determine if that is the culprit other than trying a new one?

Thanks

Well, I would rather not tell you to keep buying parts without checking them, Since I'm not there checking it for you, its very hard to lead you where you should start checking it, seems there is more of a problem than we thought.

I have replaced many of these pressure switches, and they have always worked out good for this draining after start issue. You might try as a last resort to take of that tube completely and clear it as much as possible, as a small particle of something may be in it, also try blowing through it with it is installed in the pump, something may be lodged in that pump opening where it connects to the pump.

If these suggestions above fail then i would suggest:
    A repair manual or calling a local appliance repair tech. or even going down to your local appliance parts store, they should have good information on what to do next.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

Thanks. I will try your suggestions and whatever else I can think of. At least it is running the short cycle fine now while the pressure switch is disconnected. I will post a reply after I get a chance to work on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast