Thread: GE Artica Refrigerator Too Warm / Freezer Too Cold

Default GE Artica Refrigerator Too Warm / Freezer Too Cold

Hi Guys-
    1st, great site ! I actually didn't mind paying the $5 to contribute to a worthy and helpful website. I also wanted to post in the hopes that maybe I can help someone else. This is my ongoing saga with my GE Artica Top Freezer PT25LHRARWW . It is only 3.5 years old although now I suspect that the freezer fan (WR60X10185) was faulty from day one I'm surprised as it is a Panasonic part made in Japan - oh well.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago the refrigerator got too warm (50*+) and the freezer got waaaay too cold (-30*). I actually called a local applicance company first as they were written up in Chicago magazine and for $89 he diagnosed it as needing a new circuit board. He was going to charge me another $350 (!) to replace it too btw - NO THANKS ! So, I called GE at 800-386-1215 and complained to them about how the 3rd party technician said that I needed a new circuit board on my newish refrigerator and how I thought that was ridiculous. The GE rep. said that she would have a GE service guy out in a couple of days and would not charge me for the circuit board although I still paid $159.95 for home call charge and labor to change the control board. Anyway, that didn't fix the problem so he came back and replaced the fan (part # in first P) as well as the sensor which the 1st guy had also mentioned (WR55X10025) as well as the connectors (WR2X4330D). I really hope this fixes my problem as I don't think there are any parts left to be replaced ! The fridge is still cooling so it's too early to tell although I don't recall the freezer ever "humming" like that which is why I suspect it might have been a faulty fan all along. I have to give credit to GE - not with their engineers - but with their service reps and service technicians. They did not charge me for today's parts and services which was nice. Arguably, they shouldn't since they didn't fix it the 1st time but they could have been jerks and argued that they replaced a new part blah blah blah.

I'll report back in a few hrs with a progress report. I have a couple of Jello pudding pops in the freezer to make sure it doesn't stay soft like it did before too...

Default So far so good....

Well, the temperatures are steadily stabilizing so I'm hopeful. I should also report that from day one, ice cream would get too soft. The first service tech said that the defrost sensor was set to 90* whereas 45* is more the norm. So, I'm glad he replaced that too today....I don't think I will buy another GE fridge as I can't believe that it broke so quickly but at least they were able to fix it...knocking on wood.

Sounds good, thanks for letting everyone know what went on with yours, keep us posted on the progress.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Did the Trick

Well, it seems to be working perfectly now...will have to buy some Haagen-Daz to "test" the freezer though to be certain I think I will save the circuit board since it might not have been faulty? Just glad it's fixed !

Sounds good, yes its a good idea to save the circuit board.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts