Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice in Bottom of Freezer

Default Ice in Bottom of Freezer

I have a side by side Frigidaire side by side Frost -Proof
    Side-By-Side Refrig/Freezer Model FRS26ZRG

Just receintly it started getting water in the bottom which freezes.

From what I've read, is seems like there must be some blockage and concensation is running inside the freezer and re-freezing on the bottom. How do I go about fixing such a problem?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Take the food out of your freezer, then remove the lower back panel inside your freezer, then you will see the drain trough and drain hole on the bottom below your evaporator coil, clear out the ice and run some hot water down your defrost drain hole, if it doesn't go down fast, its clogged, then you would need to use air pressure to blow out the drain line, or get a mini-snake to run down it.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake:
    http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Product...__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

If you are seeing an ice sheet at the bottom of the freezer, your drain is blocked. When the unit goes into defrost, the moisture will fall into a drain that runs under the unit to a pan where it evaporates. If the drain becomes blocked, each time the unit defrosts, it adds a layer of ice. I have seen them several inches thick. Pull out the bottom bins in the freezer and look for some screws that hold the rear panel in place. Take them out and pull the panel out of the freezer section. At the bottom of all the ice you will find a small drain hole. It may take a hair dryer and/or some warm water to melt your way through, but get it all melted away (you will fill up the drain under the unit and it will start to overflow so have towels handy) and make sure water is running down the drain. When it is all cleared out, you should be ok, but check it again in about a month and see if you have any buildup. Sometimes the drains will become blocked when an ice chunk blocks the drain and then it just builds upon itself so don't be alarmed if you don't find anything other than ice blocking the drain.

WOW, This is a first Brian, we both posted at the exact same time.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Brian and Jake, Two answers for the price of one! Thanks guys.
    The fridge is at my renters house so I'll go and tackle this project this weekend. I will bring a heat gun to melt the ice and lots of towels to mop up the melted ice.

Jake, How much air pressure would be used to blow out the tube? Would my air compressor that I use for the cars and bikes work? Its one of those "Air Stations" that you you can use to pump up rafts, tires etc. It has a good nozzle that I use for the beach toys that might fit into a tube.

I'm also wondering if some stiff wire might work instead of a snake. do you know the diameter of the drain tube?

To remove the lower back panel, I assume I probably need a nut driver to remove the screws.

Thanks for the answers. Once I get it apart, I'll update the post to let those that might have similar problems hopefully see how I solved it. Maybe I'll bring my camera and post the pictures too!

Thanks again,

Mike

Yea, I would think the Air Station one would do it.

Yes, you could use some stiff wire instead of a snake.

It should be either 1/4" nut driver or phillips screwdriver to take that inside freezer back panel off.

Yes, keep us posted. We love pictures.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default All Fixed

Thank you guys, it is all fixed and things went very smoothly because I was well prepared.

Just as you said, I needed a 1/4 inch nut driver to take off the back lower panel. There were 6 screws.

Before I could get to the screws the shelves, baskets and drawer rails all had to be removed.

The shelves came out by pressing towards the left then the right side would pop out of the holes.

The drawer slides out and each rail came out with the 1/4 nut driver. Make sure you take note of which rail came out of each side.

HINT: if you mix them up there is a R and L on the back of each one.

Once everything is off, you can remove the back panel.

Here is a picture of the drain hole. In my case, the entire bottom was encased in ICE! I used a heat gun with towels in the bottom of the fridge to melt the ice. The ice damming had deformed the bottom edge bending it upwards. once the ice was melted, it bent back easily.

From inside you cannot see the drain hose. I had to go to the back of the fridge and remove the cardboard bottom guard which protects you from the fans. Once inside I saw ice coming down along the tube as well as the tube itself full of ice.

Again with the heat gun I held it up an melted more ice.

The tube is about 1/2 inch and it goes down into the plastic tray at the bottom of the freezer.

I pulled the tube out of the bottom and cleaned up all the lint and dirt around the back. I took a piece of tubing I had that fit inside the drain tube and made sure it was not clogged with any more ice. In addition as was suggested, I blew Air in the tube to make sure it was all free of debris.

The whole fix took about 45 minutes with most of the time cleaning up lint and other dirt from under and behind the fridge.

Melting the ice took a little time because I had to make sure I was not melting the plastic with my heat gun. That gun gets hot and if you are not careful you can melt things.

Brian and Jake, Thanks again for your help with this fix-it project. Hopefully the ice won't come back but now I know what to do if it does.

Excellent Mike, Great photo's and thanks for explaining as you went along.

Glad its working good again.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Thank You!

I have been struggling with this leak for some time. Found your prognosis and did the repair today. The source of my clog was an errant green been that escaped from a freezer bag and lucky for me found its way to the drain. The bean was encased in ice and perfectly preserved. After cleaning the drain line I cut approximately 1/8 inch to allow the water to drain more freely in the pan. Thanks to all for the advice!

Thanks for this write up and pics! Ours is/was doing the exact same thing...and we followed your steps to a successful thawing....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast