Thread: Kitchenaide Issues with Temp Probe

Default Kitchenaide Issues with Temp Probe

RE: KitchenAide Superba in wall Convection Oven / microwave combo
    Model : KEMS307GBL0
    Installed : May 1999 new from builder
    Disposition : rock solid performance since install never an issue

Problem : Our 9 year old - formerly totally reliable Kitchenaide Superba oven has now developed a probe disorder. The PROBE light is on all the time and now the oven turns on for 10 seconds and then shuts off stating that the probe has met it required temperature...160 degrees.....The Probe is supposed to shut the oven down when the meat hits a certain temperature sadly this unit thinks that the probe is reading 160 when the oven has not even heated up yet.

ALSO - I get the PROBE light on the control panel (it thinks it is connected) all the time now and I cannot get it to go out.

The Probe is not connected and has not been used in a long time.....Is there a way that I can remove the Probe connector wiring or trick the Kitchenaide into thinking that the probe is not connected and just get the oven to heat up to the proper internal temperature? I tried inserting and removing the probe several times into the side wall connector in the hope that I could trigger the switch mechanism that recognizes that the probe is installed but no luck.....the probe inserts and removes fine & I even get the click as it goes into place but upon removal the probe light does not go out.....

The top microwave component is fine.

Thanks
    Ron
    Last edited by TheRASGuy; March 20th, 2008 at 06:45 PM.

The jacks will tend to corrode and create resistance between terminals after many years causing just the symptoms you are seeing. The correct way to solve the problem would be to replace the probe jack part#8186589 , or you can try and unplug the jack from the harness. Either way, you will need to pull the oven out a little so you can get to the wiring behind the control panel. The photo on the link will help locate the correct connector you are looking for.

Default Any cheat sheet on disassembling this unit

So I can get to the wiring harness(s)? I can slide the unit out 8 inches or so but am trying to see where I disassemble it to gain access to the molex connector that the probe assembly is attached to?

I see 3 screws under the lid/door of the microwave - removed them - no joy.

Thx
    R

Default K - got behind the front panel

Simply removed all the screws on the side of the oven & was able to move the plate forward.

Does anyone have the tech manual for this unit? KEMS307G

I am trying to figure out where the temperature probe plugs into the rear of the control panel - so I can disconnect it but cannot seem to see a connector with only 2 wires like what is in the picture.

thanks all.
    R

Thanks for jumping in Jake. Get some sleep.

The two wires from the meat probe are attached to connector 5 along with those of the oven temperature probe so you cant just pull that connector, but will either need to removed pins 4 and 5 of that connector, or look for the in-line connector from the probe jack. Those should run up the side, but they may run around to the back to join with the oven temp probe harness. With the oven out a bit, you should be able to remove the control panel with screws on the side and gain access to the connector. Let us know if you are still having trouble getting access and we will keep trying until you get it.

Default Thank you

was able to see how the probe connects to the conrol panel - sadly there is no simple way of removing the probe wires as they are part of a larger connector that is the P5 connector that connects the door latch switch, internal thermometer and meat probe....

I have no easy way of getting it out of the wall and resting it on a car to get to the back of it so I can try to trace / disconnect the probe elsewhere.

Dang it.

Just out of curiosity - the probe is looking for 78k Ω @ 60 F if I remove the connector then the resistance should go to infinity - will the oven still work with an open circuit? Anyone know?

Thanks - this is becoming a bigger PITA than I was hoping for.....

Appreciate all the help folks.

Looks like you are on the right path. Often getting to some of this stuff is the hard part, and the microwave on those is the heavy part. As for the open circuit, the control is looking for resistance when the probe is connected. When it is unplugged the resistance should be infinity from the jack anyway.

Good luck.

Thumbs up Absolutely worked - THANK YOU

Guys - THANK YOU SO MUCH.....I was able to slide the oven out of the wall and onto 2 Home Depot orange buckets that were upside down with a piece of plywood on the top - just the right height.

I did have to remove the rear sheet metal and I immediately saw the probe wiring harness and the molex quick disconnect.

With the POWER OFF I unplugged the red quick disconnect, turned the power back on again and the PROBE light is off and the oven heats & does not shut off after 10 seconds - you guys ROCK.

8 years of Electircal Engineering school and I am worried about operating on my appliances geez..........

Best $5 I spent in ages! Since we do not use the probe and it is flaky at best I am going to leave it disconnected - we never probe cook anyhow.

THANK YOU again.
    Ron

Excellent Ron, good job.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Glad we could help.