Social Buttons

Thread: Premature ice harvest on KitchenAid side-by-side

Question Premature ice harvest on KitchenAid side-by-side

I have a 2.5 year old KitchenAid side-by-side model KSCS23INBT00 with an ice maker problem a bit different than what I have read about in the other threads. I have read the factory repair manual for the ice maker (Job Aid Part No. 4322658A) and performed the suggested tests. Optical test OK. Jumpered the thermostat on the ice maker and heater came on, ice ejector fingers moved as expected and tray was filled with water. Jumper removed at point specified in test instructions. No error codes signaled on the LED. Everything looks good, but...

Within an hour the ice maker tries to harvest. The heater comes on and melts the just half-frozen cubes and, strangely, the ejector fingers rotate from the so-called home position (up in the air) only until they point nearly straight down and then they stop. Subsequently, the water in the tray freezes around the ejector fingers and nothing more happens forever after. I have been through this several times now, thawing out the ice maker in the sink between tests.

For the record, the water dispenser works fine and I just replaced the water filter. I don't see any broken teeth on the main gear.

I would like help with two questions, please.

1. Do I simply need to replace the thermostat, which I believe is a relatively inexpensive part? (RepairClinic item 2942). I realize I have to use special mastic to mount a replacment thermostat.

2. I see that there is a new manufacturer's part number for the whole ice maker (W10122502, RepairClinic item 1373091). Is this an improved version that I should consider buying to both fix the immediate problem and head off future problems?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this situation.

Hi,

Yes, they have upgraded that ice maker, the problem was the motor, they have increased the power so it doesn't stop anymore when the ejector fingers are down.

Here's the ice maker Part#W10122502 you can order:
    Manufacturer part#W10122502 is RepairClinic item#1373091

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts