Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maytag Side-by-Side Water Dispenser Issue

Default Maytag Side-by-Side Water Dispenser Issue

Hello, this is my first post here so here we go

My fiance and I bought a Maytag Side-by-Side about a year ago and since the first day we got it the dispenser has never been quite right. The dispenser has always been extremely slow, I am hard pressed to get 8oz in a minute let alone the 2.9L I am supposed to be getting.
    I have tried replacing the filter(PuriClean II) twice... when I replace the filter the dispenser runs at full blast for about 5 seconds before peetering off to near nothing. If I pull the filter out and drain it and put it back in the same thing, 5 seconds of full pressure then back down to nothing...

I don't recall getting a bypass cap with the unit. The Maytag man must have taken it with him after installing everything?

Anyway, I would like to get this thing to full power and since the unit is out of warranty I would much prefer something DIY than paying someone $200+ to come out and attempt it. I don't have much faith in their ability anyway

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

You need to check the pressure in the water line that goes to the refrigerator. If you do not have good water pressure to the refrigerator you will never get good water pressure out the other end of it.

How would one go about checking the water pressure in one's line exactly?

Sorry but I'm not all that familiar with the interworkings of household appliances.

The way I check the pressure is to pull your refrigerator out from the wall, turn off the water supply to it, then unscrew the water line that connects to the water inlet valve, then get something to catch water in, then turn on your water supply and see how fast the stream of water flows, it should flow real fast with lots of pressure.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

and if you have a reverse osmosis drinking water system that the refrigerator is connected to that is the problem right there.

Ok, sorry it took me so long to post again but I worked all week and didn't have much time to check it out.

The problem is with my water pressure. I removed the line from my fridge and it comes out at the same pace as the dispenser. Could it be the size of the pipe they used to tap my water line? It is tiny, about maybe 1/4 or 3/16s of an inch wide. The pressure in the rest of my house is fine so I imagine this must be the problem...

1/4" tubing is pretty much the norm, were does it tap into under your sink? Is it a self-piercing valve? If so, thats likely the issue, I see those clog up alot. I'd try to put a regular valve on it, or have a plumber do it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Yes it is a self piercing valve so I guess I'll go about changing it. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll post back in a few days

Yup, your water pressure problem will be solved once you change your self-piercing valve to a regular one.

Yes, please post the results.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hi guys, sorry once again on how long it took me to get back

So I just finished installing the new setup in my basement, now it just comes down to letting the CPVC cement set. I'll post back tomorrow when I turn the water back on and see how it goes.

Lets hope for the best

One thing to note, I couldn't believe how small the hole was in my water line. It was barely wide enough for a pin to go into... self-piercing valves are crap!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast