Thread: Whirlpool Refrigerator compartment not cooling

Default Whirlpool Refrigerator compartment not cooling

Hi, I have a Whirlpool Model ED25RFXFN01 side x side. The freezer compartment is working great, everything is frozen solid. However the other cold compartment is staying warm. This model has a cold air outlet into the bottom draw where you can choose a cold level depending on whether you have meat or veggies in the draw. The cold air is coming out of this hole but the area around the hole ices up quickly and there is a small amount of water in the bottom of the compartment and there seems to be alot of moisture on the left hand side of the compartment. However in the very top left of the compartment is the cold air feed. It looks like its directly opposite the control in the freezer compartment. This must be the main cold air feed for the compartment ???? There is nothing coming out of this hole at all. I have vacuumed the heat exchanger of hair and lint and I have looked behind the cardboard cover in the back and can view the fan turning. Obviously the compressor is working due to the good health of the freezer compartment. What could make the cold air stop from feeding out of the top outlet???
    Thanks
    Alleycat

Hi Alleycat,

Sounds like you have ice blockage in your return air duct tunnel assembly.

#4 here is your return air duct louver that unsnaps:

Clear all the ice out, and it should start blowing air from the top cold air duct diffuser#24.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Yes you are right

Yes, I pulled the grilled off and the hole inside jacket is full of ice. The bigger question is why did it build up and how can I get rid of the ice? Do I need to defrost the whole fridge, freezer and all? There is a drip tray under the refrigeration section. There has never been water in it, ever. Why is that? Thanks in advance, alleycat

Its rare I ever see the return air tunnel clog up, but its likely do to either excessive heat in the kitchen/constant door openings during the hot summer months or an air leak in your door gasket.

It would be best to unplug your refrigerator for 24 hours with the door open, but usually thats not practical with lots of food in it, so get a hair dryer and use it in the tunnel, then you can flush it with hot water.

The drain pan gets defrost water in it, but it dries pretty fast from the warm air the condenser fan blows across it. If the defrost drain line is clogged, then you would see lots of ice in your freezer drain trough in the inside back bottom of your freezer. You may want to check that as well. You can take the back panel off inside your freezer to get a better view of it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

The drain hole on the bottom of the cooler unit that leads down to the drip tray was totally blocked with ice and the return chamber from the fridge unit was also blocked with ice. I moved everything out and defrosted the unit totally as per your advice. Everything is working fine now. I lost some food in the process of course. It turns out my major problem is the door closing 'helper' on the right hand door. The door was not closing all of the way because if you shut it fairly hard because it would bounce out and stay open about 1/4 of an inch. Apparently this was the cause of too much hot/moist air getting in to the fridge and causing most of the build up in the freezer section. The fix for this is to replace the cam helper unit on the bottom of the door hinge which I will do very soon.
    My question now is on the control to the top air flow. There is a metal rod and a wire that goes from the air flow box in the top left of the fridge compartment to the control panel on the front which has the 'freezer temp dial' and the 'cold control' dial. Do these items send a signal to the cold control dial? How does that work? How is the temperature of the fridge section held and controlled separately from the freezer section????
    Thanks in advance, Alleycat

Good job clearing the ice out and discovering the door closer problem.

Here's the door cam kit you can order(comes with instructions):
    Door closing cam kit for bottom of refrigerator/freezer door hinges

My question now is on the control to the top air flow. There is a metal rod and a wire that goes from the air flow box in the top left of the fridge compartment to the control panel on the front which has the 'freezer temp dial' and the 'cold control' dial. Do these items send a signal to the cold control dial? How does that work? How is the temperature of the fridge section held and controlled separately from the freezer section????
    Yes, that metal rod#23 connects to the air control knob#27 on the left as seen here:

That lets you control the air coming into the refrigerator section. Now the other knob on the right side#26 connects to the cold control thermostat#9 and you see the wire to it that senses the temperature of your refrigerator section.

Normal refrigerator temp. in all refrigerators ranges between 36-42 degrees.

Normal freezer temp. is from 0-10 degrees.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts