Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FIXED] Kenmore 417.84152500 dryer Beeping and shutting off

Default [FIXED] Kenmore 417.84152500 dryer Beeping and shutting off

Hello

I have a Kenmore dryer model 417.84152500 and I need help fixing it. It started beeping for no reason, while on or off, about a year ago. It was an annoyance but since it still worked I didn't worry about it. Now it still beeps continuously, in a three beep pattern, but will only run for a few minutes before shutting off. It will start, beeping the whole time three quick beeps a slight pause and three beeps again, and then will shut off in about two minutes. I'm not sure if this is two seperate problems or one. Also, the top of the dryer seems to get very hot to the touch. Not sure if this is normal but it doesn't seem like it should get that hot.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to fix this? Laundry is piling up and wife is getting annoyed. Need help.

Thanks
    Craig

Fogot to add one thing that may account for the dryer shutting off. When I pulled the dryer away from the wall their was a lot of lint behind the dryer which I beleive was a result of the vent hose not being completely sealed. They back of the dryer had a fair amount of lint on it that I cleaned up but didn't solve the problem.

Could the lint have gotten caked onto some sort of sensor that is shutting the dryer off?

Thanks
    Craig

Hi Craig,

Yes, run a test load with the dryer pulled away from the wall, and with the vent exhaust hose removed, and see if it still does it. If so, then its a problem with your exhaust vent to the outside of your hose either clogged or broken.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake
    I did pulled the dryer out from the wall and ran a load with the vent hose removed. Still no luck, the dryer shuts off within 2 minutes. Any other ideas?

Also, what about the beeping issue as explained in the first part of the post? This has been happening for quite some time and the dryer shutting off only occurred recently.

Thanks

I would first check your thermistor. Its located on your blower housing. Its #15 here:
    http://content.searspartsdirect.com/...2067-00004.png

Disconnect power first In order to test and effect repairs on any product, you must be able to disassemble and reassemble the appliance. So lets start with disassembly on this dryer. Unplug the dryer. Get the top up by pushing in on 2 clips on either side as shown in this picture. We need to remove the front of the dryer next. There are 2 or 4 screws inside at the topon most of the older dryers that we need to remove. Once the screws are removed, you can pull forward on the front and lift the complete front off the 2 clips on the bottom of the dryer. Unplug the door switch wires and set the front aside.
    Courtesy of http://www.applianceaid.com/wwf-howto.html

Remove the thermistor wires then ohm the thermistor with an ohm meter.

The thermistor should read 50,000-52,000 ohms at room temperature. Dryer unplugged when testing.

Here's the thermistor for your model you can order if you need it:
    Manufacturer's Number: 134587700

Jake

Thanks Jake. I'm not sure how to go about testing the thermistor so I will just replace it since it is relatively inexpensive. I will let you know how it goes.

Quick question. When I removed the wires I didn't make note of which one went where. I know pretty stupid. The two wires are blue and one has a white stripe. I believe the white wire goes on the right side of the part where there is a number 2 on the part but not 100% sure. Dont suppose you would know off hand. What would happen if I crossed the two? Would the part fry?

Thanks again.

Yes, It does matter where the wires go, sorry I was going to mention that in my post above.

You should have a wiring diagram in your machine, in the bottom on the inner side cabinet or in your owners manual.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Thanks Jake

Jake
    I changed the Thermistor and that seems to be the problem. I have run several loads through it and no beeping and everthing is working.

Thanks for saving me big bucks.

Excellent Craig, good job fixing it, glad the new thermistor took care of it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default What should I try next?

Jake,

You seem to really know your stuff. I found this post and tried replacing the thermistor but I am still having the same problem. Do you have any suggestions of what to try next?

Vincent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast