Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor very hot

Default Compressor very hot

Model Number: 106.51554101
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Hello Jake,

My fridge model is 106.51554101 The start relay had gone bad so yesterday replaced it with #8201786 from the Repair Clinic. The compressor started up fine last night. And the freezer side is getting cold. But the fridge side isn't getting cold. And the compressor is very hot to the touch. Also the front trim piece between the freezer and fridge is getting hot as well. Not much air seems to be coming from the vents on the fridge side. A little from the upper vent. Nothing from the lower vent.

Can you help me out?

Ahh, When ever someone says the middle front trim in between the doors get hot like that, I always check the condenser fan motor and make sure the blade is turning like it should, the condenser fan motor sits next to your compressor in the back, make sure that fan is turning, what it does is draw air from across the condenser and compressor to cool them off and blows the air over the drain pan and out the front of your refrigerator.

Because all refrigerators have whats called a Yoder loop that runs 1 condenser tube line through your cabinet to prevent condensation on the exterior. If that condenser fan motor isn't blowing the warm/hot air out of your condenser properly, heat builds-up big time on the middle trim in between the doors.

Also check for a clogged condenser thats clogged with lint/pet hair full in the condenser which is located on the bottom of your refrigerator behind the front bottom kickplate grill. Just open both refrigerator and freezer doors, then pull that kickplate grill off, PULL HARD it just unsnaps.

Then get a vacuum cleaner to clean your condenser.

Here's the condenser fan motor kit for your model, in case you need to order it:
    Condenser Fan Motor W10124096 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
    W10124096

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

If I remember right the condenser fan motor was functioning. At least I do know it was running before I changed the start relay last night. My first thought when we had no cooling 3 days ago was to vacuum the condenser. It was very dirty.

Could it be that I wired the relay & overload wrong? I used the #8201799 relay and #819100 overload. The relay is marked on front with a terminal #2 & #3. The rear holes are #5 & #6. Ran the two white wires to #2 on the relay. Blue (capacitor) wire to the #3. Red to the overload. Covered the second terminal on the overload. I did not use the white jumper supplied. Couldn't figure out what to do with it.

The compressor was getting hot enough to burn skin. The freezer is getting down to 15-20 deg. But fridge side is staying fairly warm. And of course that middle trim piece getting hot.

Thanks for your help,
    Doug

You wired it correctly Doug.

Do you notice if the condenser fan is blowing fast? I've been out on a couple that the condenser fan was turning slow and causing the same condition as yours now.

If the condenser fan is turning fast then the only other cause would be a bad compressor. You have a 5 yr. parts & labor warranty on your compressor from Sears.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

The condenser fan is turning. And it looks to be turning fast. Not sure how fast it should really be turning. It's not producing much air flow. Can't feel much air when placing my hand in front of it.

I placed a small desk fan behind the fridge and let it run all night. That did seemed to help. The trim piece in the front and compressor were no longer hot and the fridge side did get cold. This morning I shut off the desk fan and the trim piece heats back up. So would you say it must be needing a new fan?

The compressor is cycling on and off. And 2 years out of warranty.

Thanks,
    Doug

Hey Jake -

The fan I placed behind the fridge does put out some pretty good air flow. What's the possibility that a replacement condenser fan still wouldn't be able to put out enough air flow to cool a bad compressor?

Thanks again
    Doug

Ok Doug,

From the desk fan you put back behind your refrigerator to help cool the compressor/condenser and things started getting cold properly and the front middle trim between the doors cooled down makes me believe you need to order that new condenser fan motor kit I posted above.

Because you should be able to feel a good amount of air flow from that condenser fan.

And If you purchase parts from our links here and you install them and it doesn't fix the problem, you have a 365 day full refund when you return them.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Ordered the condenser fan from Repair Clinic. It showed up today. Had everything install the way I thought it should be but the fan sucks air instead of blowing the air towards the compressor. Reassembled the old fan and it seems to do the same thing. Pulls air instead of pushing the air towards the compressor and coils.

Is this the correct way for this fan to work? Doesn't seem right.

Thanks
    Doug

Hi Doug,

The condenser fan shouldn't blow the air at the compressor, its suppose to suck the warm air through your condenser coils and compressor and blow it on the other side over the defrost drip pan.

Did you give the new fan motor some time to work and run before putting your old one back on?

I'd put the new one back on and give it 24 hours to stabilize and see if that fixes it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for the quick reply Jake.

Think I figured out what my problem was. I didn't re-install the back cover after replacing the fan. That didn't allow air flow from the front of the fridge. I have re-installed the new fan & the back cover and I'll let it run for several hours and see what we get. So far things are looking good.

Am I correct in checking the front trim piece between the fridge and freezer, making sure it doesn't get hot as a way of making sure things are operating normally?

Thanks for all your help
    Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast