Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whirlpool fridge (bottom freezer style) top fridge shelf getting very cold

Default Whirlpool fridge (bottom freezer style) top fridge shelf getting very cold

Model Number: GB2SHKXMQ
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hi,

I have approximately a 3 year old Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator, model # GB2SHKXMQ, freezer is on the bottom. This model # is Cdn so may not be recognized in this forum.

Basically, the top shelf is getting very cold. It is close to freezing the lettuce produce. The rotary temp dial at the top of the fridge is set to 2.5.

I am thinking it might be the thermostat. I have not set the dial to a higher temp yet. I may set it to 3 and see what happens.

I hope that that there is not a leak in the refrigerant system.

If anyone knows what typically causes this problem with this model or any other tips, I would very much appreciate it. Including the location of the thermostat. The p/n of the thermostat should be 1025326 at repair clinic.com.

Last edited by dieselgg; December 4th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.

Now on your model is the higher the number the colder?

Yes, first try setting your refrigerator control at a warmer position, then give it 24 hours to stabilize.

Let us know what you find.

If the refrigerator temp. doesn't change and its still almost to the point of freezing things in your refrigerator section, then its possibly your damper assembly(where the air comes out into your refrigerator section).

But also take the temp. in the freezer section, it should be between 0-10 F.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

Based on my owner's manual, the factory mid-setting is '4' and settings to the right
    of the mid-setting make the temperature colder. As mentioned before it is set right now at 2.5 and there is no humidity in the kitchen as it is the winter season. I may set it to around 2 and then see what happens after 24hrs. I'll also take some temp readings.

What would be the symptoms of a bad freezer thermostat?

This model # shows up on the U.S. whirlpool website so I may take a look at the parts breakdown if available.

Thanks,
    Last edited by dieselgg; December 5th, 2008 at 07:09 AM.

What would be the symptoms of a bad freezer thermostat?
    Usually it will make the freezer get extremely cold way below 0 F. And stuff in the refrigerator start freezing, like soda, milk, vegetables, etc.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

Ok, it's been about 24 hrs after adjusting the rotary dial to about 1.5 (less cold than before). Using a cheap thermometer, I noticed that the temp is at about 7C(44.6F) on the right side of the top shelf. I noticed about 4C(39F) on the left side of the top shelf. Maybe it was 4C because it was a lot closer the vent. Not sure if this is normal but there is some frost built up below the plastic housing, which has the vents.

Another note, the fruit located in the drawer on the bottom shelf is very cold.

I hope these observation help. I can turn it back to 2.5 on the dial setting (more cold) and take more temp. readings.

Regards,
    Gus

hmmm, I'm not sure whats causing this Gus, maybe another member or tech. thats seen this happen can help shed some light on this issue.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

How do I gain access to the damper assy in the refrigerator. I am considering replacing it but would rather inspect it first before purchasing the part. I recall reading somewhere how to gain access to it. I believe I have to remove the plastic shroud on the rear wall of the refrigerator. The damper p/n in question is 67003410.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the parts diagram from inside your refrigerator section: Refrigerator Liner Parts for Whirlpool GB2SHKXMQ00

#2 just snaps in place, just unsnap it in the front. I use a putty knife to unsnap it. Then you can get to the rest of the parts inside that console and your damper#15.

Is there no air coming at of your damper at all?

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I have not checked to see if there is an airflow.

I set the temp setting for both the freezer and refrigerator to their mid-point settings (4). This the default setting as per the manual. The top shelf still gets very cold. Freezing the produce, i.e. lettuce.

Right now I am pointing the finger at the damper assy. The bottom freezer seems to be fine.

Default Update

Update:

I replaced the damper assembly and everything is working fine now.

Thanks Jake for all your help!

Gus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast