Social Buttons

Thread: Maytag noisy while agitating

Default Maytag noisy while agitating

When Maytag MAV208DAWW is agitating there is this loud clunking noise. It does it less with a lighter load, more with heavier load.

Repairman said it was because the brake was bad, he could hold the tub and the noise did go away. Also, you could see the tub move just a small amount with the agitating.

Now he wants $98 to fix and I don't mind if that is really the problem.

Why I question the diagnosis is that if you open the lid during spinning, the tub stops quickly and is difficult but possible to turn the tub. Doesn't take two hands, but you can feel that it's being held.

Is this a hard task to replace the brake????? I do pretty good on most things. Just changed the two front rotors, calibers on one side and pads on my daughter's van. By the same token if it had been my vechicle I might have taken it to get fixed, but I knew she couldn't afford it.

Hi,

How old is your washer? If you don't know, post your serial# and I can tell you.

I remember a few years back there was a issue with the 3 transmission bolts not being tight enough from the factory and causing this, but thats been like more than 5 years ago, and haven't seen one since then do it.

You would need a brake tool kit to take the brake off, its about $100 and for using it once in a lifetime probably doesn't justify buying it.

You can see if someone at the repair shop can let you rent it, and see if those 3 bolts are loose.

I remember one I did, that even tightening them didn't fix it, the transmission threads were stripped and I had to order a new transmission, which you have a 5 yr. part warranty on, if your washer is less then 5 yrs. old.

Here is the brake tool:
    Brake/bearing/seal removal tool kit

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thank you for the reply.

Serial number is 27080613JR, purchased this in November 2006. Since the brake need replaced, I was surprised that the spin cycled stopped so quickly and the tub did have resistance when turning manually. Then on the other hand, I didn't ever try to spin the tub or lift the lid during the spin prior to today.

Jerry

Ok Jerry,

Your still in the 5 yr. transmission warranty period.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Very strange thing happen after months of noise my washer is not about 80% quieter. Notice above how I was testing how the brake worked just fine during the spin cycle. I did this several times and it always stopped quickly. Also, it was difficult to turn the tub, which means the brake was holding. I am guessing that must have seated the brake? I don't have a clue how the washing machine brake works, but if anything like the old drum and brake shoe on cars, I can see how forcing a stop during the spin may have helped. Maybe it won't last long, time will tell? BTW the repairman said I only had a year on my gearbox and looking at the manual that came with the washer, it appears to only be a year. Oh well maybe all will be AOK.

Oh yes, I forgot they changed the warranty from 5 yrs. to just 1 yr. now.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts