Thread: [FIXED] Kenmore Coldspot Model 106.51562101 - Spraying Water from Ice Dispenser

Default [FIXED] Kenmore Coldspot Model 106.51562101 - Spraying Water from Ice Dispenser

Model Number: 106.51562101
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Hi there. In December my wife and I were in the kitchen when, without warning, our icemaker started spraying water from the ice dispenser all over the kitchen. We ended up turning off the feed line to the fridge and soaking up the water with towels. It appeared as though a complete set of ice cubes got stuck in the dispenser to the ice cube bin, so the fridge was trying to re-fill the cube tray in a constant "on" position, hence the spraying water. After a few days we turned everything back on and had no issues.

This afternoon my 10-year old daughter called freaking out because it started spraying again while her mom was out picking up our son at Day Care. I walked her through turning off the feed line and we have cleaned up again, although iIcertainly wouldn't want to repeat this experience. I am just glad someone has been home both times this happened.

Is this something I should have a Professional repairman look as far as replacing the ice maker itself, or are there less expensive steps I could take as an amateur to fix myself? I am mostly worried about it happening again if we are not home are ruining our wood floors.

If it helps, this is the link from a previous repair to the fridge that could be involved. I appreciate any help or advice. Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, you would need to change the ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
    Complete icemaker assembly

Manufacturer's Part#: 2198597

Here's the instructions TO change the ice maker assembly:

1. Remove the bucket from the door to get some room.

2. Put a piece of tape on the sensor flapper to hold it down so you won't damage it while removing the ice maker.

3. Remove the ice maker service cover door by spreading the two hinge fingers apart away from the center and the door should lift out of the slot.

4. Remove the screw in the right rear bottom side of the ice maker.

5. After removing the screw that cover should lift up from the rear and just work it out from the rear and you see the electrical harness.

6. On the left track the should be a tab toward the bottom which you need to push up.

7. Push up tab and start working the ice maker towards you pulling it out of the track.

8. Careful with the electrical harness in the back as you're pulling out.

9. Disconnect the electrical plug by lifting the clip on the plug.

10. Remove the side cover on the side module by pulling off.

11. Remove the bottom shield by removing the 3 screws on the bottom.

12. To install reverse the order as it came out.

Courtesy of speedemon

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Thanks!!

What an awesome response! I will try this! Thanks!

Glad to help, let us know how it goes.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default One more thing...

Fianlly got around to installing this unit. The part came super fast, your instructions were super-clear, but I had one tiny little other question: As I was removing the unit from the freezer, a curved piece of plastic (like the outline of a giant eye, for lack of a better desciption) on the right hand back portion of the unit sort of fell off and popped down. How exactly is this piece supposed to be positioned over the replacement unit? It appears to go over the electrical connection to aoid getting water on it. It also has one small circular hole at one end. If you had any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Yes, thats the wire shield.

Here's the repair manual for this type ice maker, look at Page 4-2 and it shows and tells you:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/manuals...ce4322658A.pdf
    The hole goes underneath, then you insert the screw through it from underneath.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Follow-up - No Ice - Water Line Probabably Frozen?

Hate to post an additional question so far from my original post, but when you have a wife and two kids and everybody works and goes to school and has ballet and PTA...I think you get the idea...

Anyway, the icemaker is successfully installed and seems plugged in, but is not producing any ice. I am assuming the plastic water line is frozen at some point. We tried removing the ice maker mechanism and squirting hot water up the black dispenser nozzle, but we had no luck (except that the hot water that drained into the mechanism did produce one exciting ice cube. )

Is there an easy way to unfreeze the dispenser line? The other line to dispense water to for a glass of water works fine.

I appreciate any advice, any swear we'll try it out this weekend, if the kids would ever sleep...

It does take time and patience to unclog that black rubber tube above your ice maker, make sure the refrigerator is turned off first, then keep squirting hot water up into that black rubber tube, get something to run up in that fill tube, a small Phillips screwdriver perhaps, or
    I use a evaporator cooler spider snake:
    http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run up your black rubber fill tube.

Eventually it will unclog, just be patient.

Give the kids movie money so your patience won't run out for about 2-3 hours.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Actually Fixed!!

I'm sure anyone reading this will laugh, but almost a year after I posted our initial problem we actually solved it.

We have been so busy with kids and life we got used to filling the non-working ice maker with supermarket ice. But after this weekend when some new friends started poking around in it, I decided to call an Appliance repair person in town. He came out yesterday and said we had done everything great, but there was a two-tube valve in the back lower right of the fridge that was defective. He gave us the valve kit for $60, my wife installed it herself, saving $100, and now we have ice. What an awesome wife I have.

So if anyone else has this problem, that's something else you may want to check. Hope it helps!

Ok, good job.

Here's the water inlet valve for this model, in case others need it:
    Manufacturer's Number: 4389177

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts