Thread: Frigidaire FDB780RCQ0 heat element problem?

Default Frigidaire FDB780RCQ0 heat element problem?

My Frigidaire FDB780RCO0 heat element will not get hot, I thought it might be old (about 2 yrs) so I ordered a new one, received it and put it in but still does not get hot. During the heat cycle it does get warm but that's all, I have to run the dry cycle about 3 times to get the dishes some what dry, still a little moisture on them. I can have the dry cycle on, about 3/4 of the way through the cycle I can touch the heat element, it is very warm to the touch but should be hotter than that.

I ohm'd out the heat element, getting 14.4 ohm's (Accurate, meter is calibrated yearly) and the only other information I can find about heat problems is the thermostat switch being bad but it would seem to me that if the switch was bad it wouldn't heat at all, a thermostat switch is on or off, nothing in between.

Also, the dishwasher has a high temp wash and high temp rinse option, if I have either one of these on, it will get stuck in that cycle, figured it's part of the heat element problem.

Any idea's on this?fficeffice" />>>
    Last edited by David014; February 26th, 2009 at 07:05 PM.

Hi David,

Did this just start happening out of the blue? or has it been going on awhile?

Your model has the timer knob right?

When its in the dry cycle did you check for 120 volts at the heating element with your volt meter?

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hi Jake,

It started about 8/9 months ago, we first notice the Hi temp wash and Hi temp rinse didn't work. Can't really say if it got worse over time for the drying, my wife's been complaining about it for 8/9 months, just haven't had time to check it out.

As for the front panel, yes, there is a timer knob, the usual Pots & pans, Normal wash, Light chine, etc. for the drying, there is drying and then last setting on the knob is plate warmer. The heat dry, air dry, Hi temp wash, Hi temp rinse options are push button on or off.

Electrical, this is where it gets interesting, I put a meter on it have way through the dry cycle and was reading 115.4 VAC but then it hit me to time how long it's on, I setup clip leads on the element terminal, turned the timer knob to the end of the Rinse hold (right before drying) and then closed the door. I hear a click when it changed to drying cycle, for the first 60 to 80 seconds there was a humming (best guess) noise, figured it may be the pump making sure water was all drained, I've notice this humming before so I'm guessing it normal. Here's the good part, after the humming stopped, no voltage change. I'm reading about 3.2 VAC (low enough to be considered off). Watching the timer knob and the meter, it did finally turn on to 115.4 VAC and the timer knob was about half way through the drying cycle. It stayed on for 2 mins, 20 seconds and then turned off for the rest of the drying cycle. Then it switched to plate warmer cycle, same thing, voltage did not kick on until have way through the cycle (according to the timer knob) and only stayed on for 2 mins, 20 seconds then turned off for the rest of the cycle.

update:

Just did another test again, the humming noise happens at the beginning of all cycles. I tryied starting the washer in Pots and Pans cycle, Normal cycle and light china cycle, for the first 60 to 80 seconds I get this humming noise. But on the wash cycles, as soon as the humming stop the water starts pouring in.

Not sure what the humming is, may be normal but for the drying, could it be the timer?

Thanks for your help on this.
    Last edited by David014; February 26th, 2009 at 09:35 PM.

Ok,

I pulled up your timer chart to see how long the heater stays on in dry, looks like it cycles ON for 2 mins 20 secs THEN goes OFF for 2 mins THEN goes ON for 3 mins THEN goes OFF for 2 mins 20 secs THEN ON again for 3 mins THEN OFF for 3 mins THEN ON for 1 min.

Look here:
    ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo.../154458501.pdf

So why don't you run it through a complete dry cycle and see if it goes ON and OFF at those times.

I'm not sure what the humming noise could be.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

First off, found the "humming", it's the drain motor. I guess when you first turn on the dishwasher the drain motor runs to make sure no water is present.

I hooked up my meter again and used a stop watch, below is the timing I got. Times are accurate within 1 to 2 seconds. I'll use 0 (zero) for the drying start time. Time in mins:secs.

0 to 1:25 - drain motor runs, no voltage

1:25 to 4:30 - nothing, no sounds, no vibrations (like somethings on), no voltage.

4:30 to 6:45 - heater on at 115.4 VAC

6:45 to 15:00 - nothing again

15:00 to 17:10 - heater on at 115.4 VAC

17:10 to 23:50 - nothing again

23:50 is when the "Clean" light turns on indicating washing/drying is complete.

What cycle did you do this time status in?

Because in the dry cycle that heater should have 115 volts about 3 mins for 3 times, then 1 min at the end.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

In the dry cycle.

I put the cycle knob near the very end of the Rinse Hold cycle and turned it on, waited until I hear the timer click at the start of the dry cycle, at that moment I started the stop watch.

I agree with you based on the timing chart, shows 3 time on for 3 minutes and then one time on for 1 minute. Looks like 3 minutes on, 2 minutes off, three minutes on, 3 minutes off, 3 minutes on, 3 minutes off and then 1 minute on.

I'm getting 2:15 on, 9:15 off 2:10 on and than 6:20 of nothing until the clean light comes on.

It's way off.

Then it sounds like the problem would be your timer.

Here's the timer for your model:
    Manufacturer's Number: 154409001
    icon
    icon
    icon154409001

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts