Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore SxS freezer working but not cold enough

Default Kenmore SxS freezer working but not cold enough

Hi Jake, I want to start off by saying you have a wonderful site. Thanks for providing such a great service.

Now onto my problem, I have a kenmore Coldspot 106.54546400 and the freezer gets down to 28 degrees on top shelf but not colder. I am not sure if I should try the relay - because then I don't even have my 28 degrees if it can't go back on - or if it's something else. Any advice is greatly appreciated. The unit is 4 years 10 months old from sears but I dont know if I ever registered it.

background - It started not freezing ice cream fully about a month or so ago. I wrongfully ignored my wife until today. I saw your site today and did the recommendations. Yes, the bottom hot coils were REALLY filled with dust/lint. I didn't know they needed to be cleaned. So I cleaned them and took off the back panels and made sure compressor fan and internal freezer fan worked. I have also set the temp controls to max on fridge and freezer and did nothing - if anything that made it worse.

What are my next steps? And thank you in advance,
    Barry

Default Morning Update

Looks like now after running for 12 hours it's down to 20 degrees in the freezer. Waffles still aren't frozen but it lowered 8 degrees overnight.

The settings are in the middle for both fridge and freezer. The coils in freezer have what I would describe as some light snow on the bottom couple and on the tubing at the top and down right side of the coils but not in the center areas.

Also, how do I know if the compressor is running or not? Does this temporature indicate that it is running?

Hi,

You can put you hand on the compressor and tell if its running, should feel vibration.

Yes, a clogged condenser coil underneath the refrigerator can impact the freezer temp. inside, so now its dropped 8 degrees is a good sign since you cleaned your condenser coil, but I'd continue to monitor it for more temperature drop, but try to not open the freezer/refrigerator doors as much for about another 18 hours to see if it drops more.

If it doesn't drop to the normal freezer temp. which is 0-10 degrees, then I'd say your compressor is the problem and you would need to have Sears come out to order a new one while its still under its 5 year sealed system/compressor warranty for parts & labor.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks so much for the quick response.

I will take off the back cardboard cover and feel the condensor. It has been running after I cleaned everything for 20 hours. Does it normall take that long? I can wait a while longer to see if it drops more (which it hasn't over the last 5 hours) but is there anything else I should check or is it clear that the condensor/sealed unit is the only other option?

Thanks again,
    Barry

Default Latest check

OK, checked condensor. It is quite warm to the touch and has a very slight vibration feel to it. I will wait to hear from you if I should try anything else then I will call sears. Also I forgot to add that it doesn't make ice.

Again, I want to say thank you for your help. This potentially could save me a lot of money from having to buy a new fridge during these hard times. Once this is resolved, I will be glad to donate more through paypal. Does that go to you or is there someplace else I could send you a small thank you?
    Last edited by HandyHubby; June 18th, 2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added comment about ice and one more clarifying question

After reading another post today, I realize I failed to mention that the compressor was realtively hot but air coming out of the back of my fridge was room temperature

Hi Barry,

What a co-incidence?! It's a small world out there on the web!

Our symptoms sound quite similar - but we should keep in mind that it can still be a different root cause.

You're fortunate that yours is still under warranty - mine is about 9 yrs old. I'm trying to avoid buying a new one - although Consumer Reports recommends replacing them older than 6 yrs instead of repairing them. I figured if "I" tried to repair it - it might still be worth saving a few bucks.

The plot thickens for both of us - as we wait for Jake's assessment.

Mike.

Ok Berry,

Does it normall take that long? I can wait a while longer to see if it drops more (which it hasn't over the last 5 hours) but is there anything else I should check or is it clear that the condensor/sealed unit is the only other option?
    At times it can.

Also read what I posted to Mike about taking the back panel off inside your freezer to check the evaporator coils:
    take the food out of the freezer, then take the shelf out, and ice maker out, if you have one, then take off the back panel inside the freezer and look at your evaporator coils, they should ALL have a thin layer of frost on them, but not heavily built up as to not be able to hardly see the evaporator coils.

But on yours you don't need to remove the ice maker to take the back panel off from inside your freezer, and you have warranty on your compressor still.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I have snow covering the bottom couple of rows and the top row and down right side tube but the rest are clear.

I put the call into Sears and surprisingly they will be out tomorrow, They say there's a $70 charge to come out but my owners manual reconfirms what you stated about a 5 year total parts and labor warrenty on sealed system. Hopefully it wont take long to get in the new parts.

Thank you again so much for your help!

Yes, the Sears customer service reps always say the $70 charge to come out, but when the tech. confirms that the compressor is bad, you wouldn't need to pay anything to have it replaced.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast