Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore washer won't spin out all water from clothes (model # 110.15824200)

Default Kenmore washer won't spin out all water from clothes (model # 110.15824200)

Our Kenmore washer, model #110.15824200, has been having problems spinning the water out of loads completely. Until today, it seemed to spin lighter loads well, clothes/items came out damp but not soggy like heavier loads did. Today, the washer stopped spinning all together. The motor runs and sounds like it is trying to spin, but the tub does not move. Not sure if it's moving during other portions of the cycle, as I don't want to start a cycle and not have it drain the water out, and be stuck with a washer full of water... help! what is causing washer not to spin? would it be more economical to purchase a new washer, as my husband thinks? this washer is only ~5 years old.

Default correct model # 110.15842400

I entered the wrong model number in my original post. Correct one is 110.15842400.

It seems like a lot of Kenmore washers are having similar problems as mine, not spinning/bad motor couplers. Any chance that Whirlpool/Kenmore is recalling these?

Hi,

So its draining the water fine within 90 secs? but then won't spin fast enough?

When you open the lid after the water is out, its not spinning now?

check your motor coupling, to make sure it didn't break.

Read #2 and #5 here on how to access and check the motor coupling:
    http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html

Motor couplings are the most common part to go out on these models, as its just like a belt, and can just wear out over time.

Here's the motor coupling:
    Manufacturer's Number: 285753A
    285753A

If the motor coupling is good, then its likely your basket drive/clutch assembly thats worn out.

Here is the basket drive for your model:
    Manufacturer part number 285792 is RepairClinic item number 1254

Here is your clutch assembly:
    Manufacturer part number 285785 is RepairClinic item number 2670

If it is the basket drive/clutch assembly, those are much more expensive and would probably be better to buy a new washer, if you use your washer daily/many times a day.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Well I replaced the motor couplers and now the washer is spinning again. HOWEVER, the first load of wash we ran came out well extracted, but the following 2 loads we ran were progressively more wet after the cycle. Seems like there may be something else wrong with the machine. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Sherry (aka. "Lewis-the-dog")

Yes Sherry,

Then its likely the basket drive/clutch assembly as I pointed out above.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,
    I watched the washer go through a wash/rinse/spin cycle last night (lid open with lid switch depressed). It is progressing thru all the parts of the cycle properly, and seems to be spinning well now with it's new motor couplers!... really whizzing! But at the end of the spin cycles there is a 'slushing' sound of water remaining in the outer tub, like it's not getting pumped out. Not sure if this is normal since I never paid attention to that before. And the water isn't being extracted from the clothes very well (still).

Based on this new information, do you still think it's the basket drive/clutch assembly? Or could there be a problem with the pump or clog somewhere in the drain hoses? Would a 'clog' cause the machine not to extract water from clothes well? We did take the hoses off a few months ago to check for clogs, but didn't find any (been having this problem a number of months now). We couldn't get the hose that comes off the back of the machine to the sewer drain stand pipe to check that one, but the rest were clear. Thoughts?

Yes, it could be either something semi-clogging the drain pump or the pump itself wearing out.

What I always do is time the drain water extraction, and watch the water drain out from the drain hose into your drain stand, it should drain out all the water in the tub within 90 seconds, if it doesn't then I'd take the pump off and check for something clogged in it, or cracked/broken impellers in the pump.

The water should drain out with a good bit of force.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

here's some more info...
    i timed the pump draining the water, and it got it all out within ~90 seconds (closer to 100 sec for a large load, and way less than 90 for small load). the rest of the cycle seemed fine, UNTIL it got to the extra rinse... the basket filled and agitated. then it pumped the water out, but the basket didn't spin, the water continued to drain. the machine then started to spray water on the clothes for the 'ultra rinse' but the basket, which should spin during this portion, started to move then stopped. after a few seconds, i reached in and turned the agitator, and the basket started and continued to spin during the rest of the cycle; however, it didn't seem to spin nearly as fast as it should have, and the clothes inside were still quite wet. i then switched the machine to the 'normal' wash cycle's final spin and it spun very fast and got all the water out of the clothes; they were just damp. so it seems that the problem is in the extra spin cycle... does this sound like a problem with the basket drive/clutch? (as you've suggested before). and will this soon become a problem in the 'normal' wash cycle too..... should i start looking for a new washer?

do you think washing machines are not built to last very long anymore? should i look for a less expensive one, expecting it not to last more than 5 years? i was considering the new Amana front-loader (NFW7200T) or the Whirlpool Duet HT (WFW9400S). Would you recommend one over the other? Do you have insight into the reliability and rate of repair for either model? The prices are quite different between the two.... I'd prefer not to spend a ton of money on a new washer, unless necessary. We do have a king-size bed and it would be nice to be able to wash it's bedspread at home, however.

one more comment...
    i did not remove the pump last night to check it, as it seemed to be pumping the water out just fine. but should there still be a little water in the outer tub after the cycle is finished? there's still a slushing sound as it stops spinning, even though the water seems to all drain within the 90 seconds (or so) that you required.

Yes, it does sound like the basket drive/clutch assembly is worn out.

Yes, the slushing sound is probably the inner spin basket, it has liquid in the top ring for balance control.

If you use your washer daily/many times a day and have a lot of family members in your household, then 5 years is basically equivalent to 10 years for machine wear.

It would be best to invest in a new washer, Sears still has basically the same prices for them since 5 yrs. ago.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast