Thread: Sub Zero 550 Ice Machine Problem

Default Sub Zero 550 Ice Machine Problem

Sub Zero 550 Ice Machine makes ice. Valve opens. Drops Ice cubes. Refills. After two to three days the tray turns into one big block of ice. I also get ice forming above the freezer below the produce bins. In the back and mostly on the right side. It takes a few months for enough ice to form to cause a problem with the bins.

The drain line in the refrigerator compartment is most likely blocked up causing water to drip over the back ledge and onto the refrigerator "floor" where it will freeze and cause your bins to not close properly over time.

The ice maker could have a few possibilities. 1 the tube may not be aligned properly, 2 the icemaker could be out of alignment or tilted, 3 the icemaker may be cracked at the fill tube, 4 the icemaker heater could be out of position or acting up or 5 the icemaker could be bad and need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Wobiii,
    I checked the ledge just above the fridge floor and it is indeed filled with ice. How do I clear the drain? Looks like there are some wires feeding into the tube. Am I looking in the right place?

Sounds like the right place. I use a steam cleaner to do it, they seem to be getting hard to find and the last one I got I had to order online as I couldn't find it locally. Try using a hairdryer and see if you can get it with that. If it is a metal looking wire sticking down the drain then It's a drain heater, that could be bad. It is a common problem around the sub zeros that the heater go out and allow the drain to freeze.

Overfreezing of the refrigerator below the produce bins is a very common problem on 550 model. There is a subzero designed floor heater kit out there to correct this problem.