Social Buttons

Thread: Freezer not Freezing, but still Cold...

Default Freezer not Freezing, but still Cold...

I just noticed today that my Freezer is not Freezing...it is cold inside...but not cold enough to freeze....My Model # is lffu1465dw6 . The Compressor is kicking on...so it's not that....not sure what else I can check. Please advise.

Hi J&T,

Are you a appliance tech? Its ok if you are, we have a few here that post regularly.

What you need to do on this model is take off the lower back panel inside the freezer and see if your evaporator coils are all caked-up in frost to where you can't really see the coils, if thats the case you'll need to turn your defrost timer(located in the back near the compressor) into defrost and give it a few minutes to see if the defrost heater comes on underneath the evaporator coils.

Its #23 here, turn it till it clicks and the compressor will shut off, then its in the defrost cycle:

If the defrost heater doesn't come on then you'll need a volt/ohm meter to test continuity(on OHMS setting) on the defrost thermostat(while frosty) with the freezer unplugged.

Let me know what you find, then we will proceed further.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hey Jake....Actually not really an appliance repairman....but I have been scouring the Classified Ads for good deals on Appliances that I feel I can fix and then re-sell. People giving away or selling cheap items that may not require a lot of money to be invested..... but about my Frigidaire....there was in fact Caked up ICE...and I advanced the Control to put it in Defrost Mode....so how would I prevent this in the future?....do you think my Thermostat is going bad?

When you moved the defrost timer into the defrost cycle, did the defrost heater come on to start defrosting the evaporator coil?

If so leave in defrost and see how long it takes the defrost timer to come out of defrost and kick the compressor back on again.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Just found this post. I have Kenmore (which is actually an Amana) model# 596.73509201 which is exhibiting the same symptoms. The unit is cold throughout but the freezer is not cold enough to freeze ice cubes. I've confirmed the evaporator coil inside the unit is not frozen over and the knob is set to "coldest". What should I check next?

Check to see if the evaporator coils in the freezer have a thin layer of frost on them ALL. If not, then your compressor is likely going out.

Did you also pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the back lower access panel and see if the condenser fan next to the compressor is running? It should be running at all times while your compressor is running.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts