Social Buttons

Thread: Kitchaid Superba double wall oven multiple problems

Unhappy Kitchaid Superba double wall oven multiple problems

I just purchased a house that has a KitchenAid KEBS247DWH10 double wall oven. This is the 24" wide double wall oven There are a number of issues, most of which I suspect have a common cause. When I first viewed the house I noticed that the lower oven door would not stay closed properly. The top of the door would hang open by about 1/2 inch or so. That seems like a hinge issue (or maybe the door just wasn't properly seated). But I can't even start to tackle that one yet, because...

The lower oven door is now locked. It says "Locked" on the control panel as well. The top oven door is not locked. I can't find any way to unlock the lower oven door.

Second problem is whenever I try to turn on either oven (top or bottom) in any mode, it says "too hot" on the display. I tried power cycling the oven (flipping the breaker off and on). When I then try to operate the controls, it shows error codes F5 (in the blue part of the display) and E7 (in red). Then that clears, and it says "too hot" again. Those are the only error codes it is showing. Help!

I'm not even sure how to access any of the control circuitry. It's not obvious how the control panel cover comes off, nor is it obvious how to get at the screws that secure the oven into the cabinets. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hwg

Hi hwg,

It sounds like you will need a new latch lock assembly and new hinges for the lower oven door.

Here's the latch lock assembly for your model:
    Manufacturer part number 4451896 is RepairClinic item number 589939

Here's the oven door hinges for your model:
    Part#4455523

You would need to order 2 of these, as they don't come in pairs.

That error code just indicates the latch is locked when it shouldn't be, here's the tech. sheet for your model:
    http://www.servicematters.com/docs/w...%204451879.pdf

I wasn't able to locate the repair manual to assist you in getting access to these parts, but you'll likely need to pull out your double oven to access these parts.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

Thanks for the information.

What about the "too hot" on the display when I try to turn either oven on?

Even if the bottom oven latch needs replacing, I would expect to be able to operate the top oven, no?

Maybe the bottom oven is locked because it thinks it's in self-clean mode or something. I was wondering if it could be a controller problem?

hwg

Yes, I didn't see a "too hot" error code, so it may be related to the door latch lock not working properly.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Okay, maybe I'll try replacing the door latch. It's funny that the bottom oven door wasn't locked when I first looked at the house a few weeks ago, but now it is. Perhaps the owner tried to repair it and something happened.

How do I get at the lower oven door latch? It is located between the upper and lower ovens.

Thanks,
    hwg

Yes, look at the tech. sheet I posted above, it shows you exactly where its at. You'll need to see if you can locate an access panel to get to it, it doesn't show that unfortunately.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Well, I did manage to ge the lower oven open. I was also able to get at the latch. Pulled it out, but didn't disconnect the wires. The solenoid seems to be sticking, so I think you're right that I need a new latch. This is also preventing the lower oven door from closing properly (too much back pressure form the door switch). So I think if I replace the latch, that will fix both problems.

But THEN...

The keypad stopped working. First some keys stopped working, now nothing works! I got the control board out, reseated the keypad connector, no good. Getting the F2 E1 error. The tech sheet says replace the keypad, if that doesn't work, replace control.

In your experience, is it more likely to be the keypad or the control board? How much are these parts?

Even though I can do the work myself, this could get expensive. (Latch, keypad, control board...) I can get a new oven like this for around $850., and not have to worry about it (for a while, anyway).

Advice is welcome.

hwg

It would be both the keypad and control board acting up, since your having all this other trouble your looking at the price of a new oven in parts.

Better to just start over with a new double oven, don't waste your money on that one, its obviously been abused before you moved in, Lord knows what else is wrong with it if you replace the parts you need now.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts