Thread: Kenmore Mod. 110.24086200 Won't Start

Post Kenmore Mod. 110.24086200 Won't Start

Hi,

I have a Kenmore Elite with Calypso Motion that has stopped working. I can enter in the cycle I want and everything lights up as it should, but when I press Start, nothing happens.

I have gone through the troubleshooting check list. Power cord is plugged in, water hose are connected and turned on, Delay Start is NOT engaged and the door is closed. I ran a continuity check on the door switch and it shows the switch is engaging when the door is closed.

Background: I recently returned from a trip and learned there was a problem with the machine. I was able to start the machine, so I thought the problem was the machine would not drain. I took off the back and bottom covers, tipped the machine, disconnected the drain and recycle hoses and drained what little water there was still in the machine. Reconnected everything and ran a short cycle. It worked perfectly. (Lesson: Get facts before beginning the work.) My wife ran three loads and when she tried to do the fourth, the machine would not start.

Two days later, it still will not start. Does anyone have any suggestions on diagnosing where the problem lies? And here I thought it would be an easy fix.

Thanks,
    --al

Thats odd,

Here's the repair manual you can download/print and go to the troubleshooting section and see if you can find whats going on:
    REPAIR MANUAL

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, thank you for the manual.

On page 53 of the manual it describes how to check if the touchpad is functioning.

I disconnected the power cord and unplugged connectors P11 & P12 from the control board. Using my analog multimeter I checked the resistance across each switch when pressing a particular button, using the matrix on page 53.

No matter what I did, the needle on my multimeter did not move. Admittedly, my meter is very old and not as accurate as it used to be, but I expected a little needle movement. When the connectors are plugged in and the power cord is connected, every button turns on an LED when pressed, except for the Start button. So it is difficult to determine if the touchpad is bad or my multimeter is malfunctioning -- although other continuity checks have worked just fine. So I am leaning towards a problem with the touchpad control panel.

The part number on the touchpad control panel is 8283432. However, when I search the Sear's PartsDirect website it list three possible part numbers (8537212, 8537213, 8537214), all the same dimensions, but no color description. I sent them a query thought the website and now await a response to tell me what part no. is the correct one for my machine.

Yes, sounds like the touchpad control panel is the culprit.

What color is yours? White? Stainless? Black?

If you order it through Sears and it doesn't fix it, you can't return it. If you order it through our site you CAN return it for a FULL refund.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

It is black (or as they describe it, graphite). I was planning to order it through RepairClinic (at AppliancePartsPros the price was $75 more), but it is a special order, meaning it will take a couple of weeks to get to me. Before I order I want to see if the local Sear's repair center has the part and if their price is similar to RepairClinic's. Being retired price is important, especially in this economy.

Again, I thank you Jake for all of your assistance and advice.

Sincerely,
    --al

Ok Al, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts