Social Buttons
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GE Oven Turns ON By Itself

Default GE Oven Turns ON By Itself

I have a GE Profile Performance Wall Oven Model JT910BA4BB, S/N DA6 07929Q installed 5/2000. Two months ago oven control displayed F7. Troulbleshot unit per enclosed GE's procedures- they say F7="Shorted Matrix or START Key" Checked key panel-OK. Presumed then Oven Control (OC) was bad. (Friend with similar units has had 2 Oven Control failures on same age unit) Ordered new OC (GE P/N WB27T10312) and installed by moving each wire separately from old OC to new OC. Reapplied power, set clock and all appeared good. Within 24 hours oven began beeping and showed F7. Went to oven and it was ON - with no indication on display. Oven was at 350 by oven thermometer inside. Pressed OFF/CANCEL and oven turned off. Power OFF then rechecked all connections and reinserted ribbon cable. Power ON- all good. Checked oven over next two days and it was OFF and cool. Friday afternoon checked oven and display showed oven was in Low Broil. It had turned itself on!! Oven temp was 400+!! No delayed start had been set.

Have you ever heard of GE Ovens turning on by themselves? Suspect faulty ($175) replacement OC. Any other ideas
    Last edited by GeorgeR; October 23rd, 2005 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Modek name corrected

Hi,

No, I have never seen that happen before on the GE's. But the F7="Shorted Matrix or START Key would tell me that there is a short in the start key making it come on by itself, even though you say it checks good, could be a intermittent issue.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default My JRP15BW Turns on by itself

Need some help my 24" single wall oven started erroring out shortly after I bought it. I did the whole eraser trick thing for a while and finally decided to replace the control panel. I replaced it a couple of weeks ago and now the oven turns on by itself. Any ideas. Please help. Thanks in advance.

How old is your Oven now?

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Tom,

I bit the bullet and had a professional troubleshoot my oven that turned itself on. I had replaced the oven control with no change in the problem. GE replaced the keypad and all is good. Per repairman, keypads were/are a problem with their ovens. If new, get it fixed in warranty. - Good luck

Default Thanks for the quick response.

Guys -
    Not quite sure when I got it 1998/99. Had my appliances in storage awaiting remodel of new kitchen. We had to figure out what we wanted first. Last night I shut off the breaker and this evening turned it back on. My wife used the oven with no probs - just waiting to see if the "Gremlins" turn it back on. George when you say the "keypad" are you talking about the whole unit? Is the control panel different from the keypad? Thanks for your help.

Tom,

The keypad and the controller are separate parts. Looking up your model the part numbers are:

WB27T10264 CONTROL OVN (ERCIII-B)

WB36T10542 CONTROL PANEL W/KEYPAD

The age of your oven falls right when GE started having problems with the Control Panel/KeyPad. If you're handy and can fix things, order it and install yourself. Very easy doe Control Panel/Keypad - just some screws. Good Luck

Default F7 error on GE oven - Part WB27T10312

I'm having f7 issues with my oven as well. I was intending on purchasing the replacement part WB27T10312 to see if that fixed the problem. My oven HAS NOT been heating by itself but the light has been turning on and off on its own. Did you ever solve the problem on your end? What did you wind up doing? I'm hoping to get advice back before I purchase the replacment part.

Sorry. I didn't read all of the entries. GeorgeR - in the end, did you need to replace both the oven control and the keypad or would just the keypad have solved the problem?

I have a JTP18BD1BB from 2001/2002. I've cleaned the connectors with an eraser to band-aid the problem until I order the part.

Default F7 (GE model 164D4105P033)

Interested discussion thread. I typed the GE model 164D4105P033 into a google search looking to buy the replcement part to my GE profile oven and learned that I am not the only one with this "F7" problem and haunted oven light. I have been having trouble with the oven for about a year now, and have been removing the cover to the control board to clean it mich like ya'll. This helps, but the problem always seems to return. Now that I know that this oven is the quality equivelant of a early 80's Ford Granada, I think I will just replace it with another brand. Anyone done this yet? I am looking for an oven with the same dimensions so that it will go into the existing space of this GE oven without having to make any structural modifications.

PS...is there a product recall for this GE product?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast