Social Buttons

Thread: KitchenAid KUDM01TJBS-Blinking "Rinse Only" Light

Default KitchenAid KUDM01TJBS-Blinking "Rinse Only" Light

Hi Jake,

I run my dishwasher once per week on the normal cycle and with the Energy Saving Dry selection. Some time about 3 weeks ago, when the dishwasher was not running, I noticed the Rinse Only light blinking on and off constantly. No buttons would work, and I couldn't start the dishwasher. Thinking it was the control board (part# 8564542), a part I replaced only 13 months after buying the dishwasher brand new in 2002, I purchased a new control board and installed it. This time, the Normal light flashed constantly, none of the buttons worked, and the dishwasher still would not work. I returned the control board to the online parts place where I bought the board because 1) when I opened the package after its arrival, I noticed the part appeared to have fine scratches underneath the plastic base and a few other places, as if it had been used or installed previously, and did not appear to be new (it was not in a box and was loosely wrapped in bubble wrap), and 2) it was exhibiting the same behavior as my old control board except the Normal light was flashing this time. So I figured it was defective.

Before the parts place sent another control board, they told me the procedure for getting fault codes because they believed the problem was a bad heater circuit, not a bad control board. So, the tech told me to - with the door open - press Hi Temp Scrub once, Energy Saver Dry once, repeat, press Start, close door. All lights were supposed to come on according to the tech, but nothing happened. The tech told me to call an appliance repair person to diagnose.

I've read a number of similar blinking light issues whose problem could be the control board, the control panel, or the ribbon cable. The difference with mine is I don't have any other symptoms because the dishwasher appears to have completed its last cycle without any problems. Given what I've described above, I'm not sure where to go with this.

1) Am I right that the control board that was shipped to me was also bad, and should I take a chance on having them send a replacement? (they are waiting for me to tell them what to do, but their (unwritten) policy is no returns once a part has been installed, so I may be stuck with the replacement control board anyway).
    2) How would I replace the ribbon cable if that's the problem? As far as I can tell, I can't remove the cable because it's secured to the back side of the interface panel that seems to be glued to or taped to the plastic backing of the entire control panel assembly. Not sure if I'm describing this correctly.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Yes Steve, it sounds like the control board they shipped was used and not new. You won't need that anyways, the control panel is the problem.

A new control panel will fixed it guaranteed.

Here's the control panel touchpad assembly for your model you can order(Comes with the ribbon cable):
    Manufacturer's Number: 8270226

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

Thanks for the quick reply. A couple of more questions:

1) So the ribbon cable isn't bad? For future reference, if the ribbon cable was bad, can it be replaced on my dishwasher, or does the entire control panel touchpad assembly need to be replaced along with it?
    2) Does the control panel touchpad assembly include the entire long plastic piece with the outside touchpad as it appears in the picture?
    3) What makes you sure that my control panel touchpad assembly is the bad part given how similar my problem is to others that I read about?

Steve

No, the problem on yours is a stuck/shorted button causing the rinse light to keep blinking.

You can't order just the ribbon cable separately on your model. The new control panel comes with the ribbon cable.

Now if the clean light was blinking then it would be the heating circuit/heating element.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, thank you for the advice. I'm a little confused why the Rinse Only light flashes with one control board installed and the Normal light flashes with another control board installed, but I'll accept your diagnosis that the control panel touchpad asembly is bad.

I noticed in posts to others where you provided a link to purchase the new part that you noted there's a 30 day moeny back policy if it's not the right part. The link you referred me to, AppliancePartsPros.com, does not have that same policy. So if the control panel touchpad asembly is not the bad part, I'm out $138.62 plus shipping, correct?

Steve

Yes Steve, if either the normal or rinse light is blinking, its always the control panel thats the cause. Just the clean light blinking would not be the control panel.

Yes, you can return it if you installed it and it didn't fix it for a full refund.

If you have any problems returning a part, Adam is our Representative, here's his email:
    adam@appliancepartspros.com

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts