Social Buttons

Thread: Kenmore Ultra Wash 665.1603

Default Kenmore Ultra Wash 665.1603

We just installed a brand new Kenmore 665.16034401. The washer fills with water, hums for a second and sits until it drains. The detergent door opens, it drains, etc but it doesn't appear to be spraying.

FIRST - Could we have done something wrong installing it...crimped a line or something? I've called repair and they are supposed to send someone out but we don't want to look like some kind of idiots if it's something we may have done. They mentioned the pump not getting enough pressure to drive the spray arms.

SECOND - The odd thing is that this is the same thing that was happening with the dishwasher we replaced. It was over 15 years old so we just decided to get a new one and be done with it. I'm now wondering if it's something totally not related to the dishwasher and we've bought a new one for nothing more than better technology.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!!

Does the detergent fully dissolve?

If yes,the water is in fact spraying and then later draining.

Are the dishes clean or still dirty?

Need more information on what the dishwasher is *not* doing.

For example: "Dishwasher completes the cycle but everything is not totally clean."

Two things come to my mind--with what little info is available to me:

1) I have seen a dishwasher water valve (under the sink) not fully open after it was turned off to allow a removal/installation job.

2) On some warranty repairs that I have had recently--customers had bought and installed a new dishwasher with an electronic control panel. The customer complained that immediately after pushing the *start* button--the dishwasher panel lights would "flash" on and then off but the d/w did not start. This was caused by the installer NOT hooking up the *ground* wire in the terminal box. Printed circuit type controls require a ground connection to function.

Let us know more details about the old dishwasher--that will help us considerably.

John

Thanks so much for the quick response.

The detergent doesn't dissolve. Most of it is still caked in the container. There was a cola spill on the inside of the door and it was still there also. The new washer has an electronic control panel but there doesn't seem to be a problem with the lights flashing. The old washer (Hotpoint) had a knob with just two buttons (heat/no heat).

Everything seems to work fine (water runs in, 'washing/sensor' light comes on with a slight hum, 'sensor' light goes off, it sits for a short period of time, drains and starts the next cycle) except that the detergent doesn't dissolve and the dishes do not get cleaned at all...just steamed a little. We cancelled and didn't let it get to the rinse/dry cycle for fear the motor was getting burned up although I didn't detect any electrical type of smell.

If there's water entering the unit but the wash motor is not pushing water through the wash arms--you may indeed have a problem that requires a visit by the warranty service provider. Some troubleshooting/disassembly may be necessary to identify the cause.

NOTE: I make every effort to tell customers that they should *not* feel foolish to call for service if something they purchased does not perform as expected.
    Manufacturers know that there will ALWAYS be a small percentage of what they call *educational* service visits. We are told to--whenever possible--to communicate with the customer over the phone--some of the known common problems and the likely fix. Some service visits have been for things such as: Water not turned on/Plug not in receptacle/Unable to use appliance due to complicated electronic controls/etc. This is our job--to represent the manufacturer--if something is not right. Unfortunately, a lot of servicers leave much to be desired in both "people skills" and product knowledge.

John
    Last edited by aaastan; October 22nd, 2005 at 10:40 PM.

We'll wait for them to come out and see what they come up with. Thanks a lot for your help and quick responses!!

Your very welcome!

Good luck.

John