Thread: [FIXED] Kenmore 665.1603 replace heating element?

Default [FIXED] Kenmore 665.1603 replace heating element?

My Kenmore 665.16039403 leaks from below. This 3 yr old DW (1 yr warranty) doesn't clean very well (never did, really), and I've twice gotten the water heating fault. At first I didn't know what that was but found how to run the diagnostic (heated dry - normal - heated dry - normal). I did so and the unit worked for about a week. Fault happened again a few days ago, diagnostic cleared it again, but found water on the floor after unit ran overnight. I pulled the unit out and looked underneath with a mirror and the water is dripping from where a red and white wire enters the bottom. Looking inside, the heating element connects directly above where I see the leak. There are no obvious cracks but the element is slightly loose at that connection, so I suspect a bad gasket or o-ring. The element is also covered with hard water deposits (its almost 100% white). All this leads me to suspect I need a new heating element. Odd thing is, sometimes when I wash dishes by hand in the sink, unit still leaks even tho dw isn't on. Doesn't happen all the time, but seems to be when sink is especially full -- perhaps some kind of backflow into the dw? Anyway, if I've correctly diagnosed the problem, can you walk me through replacement and which parts to buy (I found what I think is the heating element at http://www.expertappliance.com/partfinder.php (their pt # Z5-665.16039403-96) but I can't tell what other parts, like an o-ring, I'd need. Or is this a job for a professional plumber to handle? Or (yikes) perhaps the unit's floor really is cracked where the heating element connects and a new element won't stop the leak...

Yes, it sounds like your heating element is bad.

Here's the one for your model(comes with new rubber seals):
    Manufacturer's Number: 8563007

The easiest way to change it :
    You unhook your plumbing, electrical, and drain hose from it and pull your dishwasher out to get to the back of it, thats where the plastic nuts hold it in place, they just unscrew to remove it, remove the wires that connect to each heater terminal first.

Just to make sure while you have it out, check to make sure its not your tub thats cracked leaking water, but its likely just the electrical connector where it goes through the bottom on the tub.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default follow up

Thanks Jake, you're the best! Any idea, though, why the water would sometimes back up from the sink into the dw? Is that typical or an indication of a clog or more serious problem? It does not happen all the time, but has at least twice recently, each time when doing big loads of dishes in the sink (but I can't seem to duplicate the exact conditions).

Yes, make sure the dishwasher drain hose has a loop read here:

You can see how it has to loop in Fig 1, Fig 1a, Fig 2 here:
    http://www.applianceaid.com/drain_wash.html#drain

Is your sink draining slow as well? If so, you'll need to have the sink plumbing cleaned out, or use liquid plumber first to see if that helps.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts