Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore Elite dishes on top rack not washing properly - top spray arm not spinning

Default Kenmore Elite dishes on top rack not washing properly - top spray arm not spinning

Model Number: 665.76965K601
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Model number Kenmore Elite 665.76965K601
    Age 3 years

All the cups and small plates in the top rack of my Kenmore are not getting washed at all. The only thing they get in the condensation from the heat of the water below.

The top spray arm is not spinning - I have checked this by leaving it in one position, turning it on (on any setting) and when I open it mid stream, the arm is in the same position it started in. Water is gingerly coming out.

In the past when the top spray arm hasn't worked, it's been because something is blocking it (A big plate in the bottom tray). This is not the case this time, and when I spin the top spray arm, it spins fine, although not for a long duration of time.

My guess is that the two holes that feed the top spray are are both open (perhaps due to age? I don't know??) and perhaps there is not enough 'volume' that causes the top spray arm to turn??

Here's a photo of the back of the unit if it helps:
    http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7...1002101852.jpg

Any thoughts out there?? We're a family of 6 and are in deep trouble without our dishwasher...thanks in advance!

EDIT: After letting the dishwasher run a bit, the top spray arm looked like it moved, but there is so much food junk built up on the top tray - just not sure what's wrong...
    Last edited by bbtfastback; February 10th, 2010 at 05:33 PM.

The one hole in the photo is open because thats where the middle spray arm manifold goes into when you push your upper back inside the dishwasher.

It more likely an issue with either the chopper screen blade broken or the motor.

Here's the repair manual for your model:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/manuals...voy8178022.pdf

Page 17 Read 1-4 where it says this:

SERVICING COMPONENTS INSIDE THE WASH TUB
    Removing the Inner Feed Tube and
    Lower Spray Arm

Then on Page 21 it starts to get into detail of how to access the rest where it says this:
    Accessing Components of the Sump Assembly

It shows how to get access to the chopper screen.

Here's the wash motor assembly for your model:
    Whirlpool W10239404 Circulation Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com

Here's the sump/wash motor assembly for your model you can order: Manufacturer's Number: W10237169

Let us know what you find.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks Jake - before I head down this road, I noticed the top spray (not the arm, but the ciruclar plastic spray at the very top of the unit) doesn't seem to be letting water go either. It's so hard to diagnose what the problem is. All I know is that the top dishes appear as they went in (plus a bit of condensation.) But the bottom dishes are clean.

1) How likely is it that the solution you have proposed is the root of the problem? I belive your solution involves me removing the motor in the bottom - but all the bottom dishes seem to be clean and the arm on the bottom seems to be operating a-ok. I'm not sure if the motor on the bottom is the problem.
    2) How easy of a fix is this? I'm not terribly handy, but think I can generally hold my own. Should I call someone instead?

Cheers Jake.
    Last edited by bbtfastback; February 11th, 2010 at 04:16 AM.

You just have to be patient and read the repair manual instructions, its not an easy job, so if you don't feel confident in checking parts out, then by all means call an appliance repair shop.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, I called a local repairman and he said for a 3 year old dishwasher, it sounds like the filter is clogged not allowing water to make it up to the top shelf. Is this possible, and if so, where is the filter on this unit? I don't see anything about a filter written in the repair manual?? Cheers!

No, you just have the accumulator#1 here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K0602060-00008.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	15852

But I never see that clog up.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Have you checked your water inlet valve? I had a similar problem. The dishes on the top wouldn't get clean and it seemed as though the top rack wasn't spinning.

You have to go underneath and take apart the inlet valve. Mine was full of sediments from water and from the pipes. It's a little tricky because it was a small space, but the difference was amazing afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrknowitall526 View Post
    Have you checked your water inlet valve? I had a similar problem. The dishes on the top wouldn't get clean and it seemed as though the top rack wasn't spinning.

You have to go underneath and take apart the inlet valve. Mine was full of sediments from water and from the pipes. It's a little tricky because it was a small space, but the difference was amazing afterwards!
    That's exactly what it was...once I took apart the inlet valve that was clogged with sediments from our dishes including a chicken wing bone, now everything works great.

Cheers to everyone here!

Wait, It was the inlet water valve? That supplies water into your dishwasher? How in the heck could a chicken bone get in there??? That water supply line comes from your city water department, if they have chicken bones in the water supply line, thats not good.

Or did you find the chicken bone in the chopper screen blade area, they would be the most likely place to find one.

Well, at any rate, glad that fixed it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Yep - apologies...it was in the chopper screen blade area. THAT was definitely the problem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast