Social Buttons

Thread: GE GSD5950 leaving white (soap?) residue

Default GE GSD5950 leaving white (soap?) residue

Model Number: GSD5950F00CC
    Brand: GE

I have a GE GSD5950F00CC Profile Dishwasher that is about 7 years old. My wife has been using Samís Club Member Mark brand powder soap for a long time. A few months ago the dishwasher began leaving a white film, or residue, on the dishes. Until then it has washed okay.
    fficeffice" />> >
    About 1-1/2 years ago, it first acted up and as I recall, it was not draining properly. At that time I replaced the following;
    GE WD24X10018 PISTON & NUT ASSY because I believe that was the cause for the problem at that time.
    GE WD22X10043 FILTER GASKET ASM because the original had deteriorated and pieces were breaking off
    GE WD19X10032 IMPELLER ASSEMBLY Kit because there was sign of water leakage around the shaft seal
    GE WD28X10041 RACK LOWER & ROLLER ASSY because the plastic coating broke off, steel rusted where dishes contacted the rack leaving rust spots on the dishes
    > >
    About the same time, the GE recall to replace the wiring harness and remove the door insulation was performed by a GE service tech.
    > >
    The dishwasher worked fine after that until several months ago when my wife began to notice white residue on the dishes.
    The soap residue was worse on the tops of the dishes and glasses in the top rack.
    I checked and could tell the upper spray arm was not rotating.
    I disassembled the dishwasher and found
    o significant residue on the plastic screen sump filter
    o and I discovered the tip hole on the upper spray arm to be completely blocked. The blocked spray arm hole would obviously prevent the rotation force and explain the non-rotating spray arm.
    After cleaning carefully, to remove all of the white residue, and re-assembling, the dishwasher appeared to work fine for a while.
    I also completely disassembled the dishwasher to be certain I removed all residue including flushing the check valve and turbidity sensor.
    When it was back together, I checked water level, pump out, and spray arm(s) rotation, etc. All seemed proper.
    > >
    The dishwasher seemed to operate better for a time, but the white residue problem has now re-appeared. It does appear slightly different in that it is more uniform on everything in the dishwasher. Currently;
    Water level is just below the heater
    The water is hot (whenever I open the door to check spray arm rotation, my glasses are instantly fogged).
    When the dishwasher runs, it sounds normal with the swish swish sound that indicates to me that the spray arms are turning. When I open the door, they are usually in different positions.
    The holes in the spray arms are all clear.
    The extendable center of the bottom spray arm does not always fully retract (my wife also notes that she often has to tap it so that it does collapse to allow the lower rack to be slid out, it is not stick or binding, it hangs there slightly cocked to one side waiting for a tap so it can drop back down).
    The water is drained out properly at the end of the cycle.
    My wife uses the speed heat dry selection.
    Our water is slightly hard, but not hard enough to explain this.
    The soap dishes work properly and are both completely empty at the end of the cycle.
    I suspect the white residue is soap film not being rinsed off.
    > >
    My wife would like to toss this thing out and after looking at the white residue on every one of her dishes, utensils, pots, and pans, I am having a difficult time disagreeing with her. Any ideas on a cause and fix for this short of a new dishwasher?
    > >

Ok, I'd have your city water department come out and test your water hardness, Cities can change the water hardness without telling customers. They shouldn't charge you to do this.

Do you use rinse-aid like Jet Dry?

This is the best product to get for this issue:
    A great Dishwasher cleaner to get rid of hard water and mineral deposits in the dishwasher:
    Citric acid- mineral deposit remover

You can also look at our other dishwasher cleaners here:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...r-cleaner.html

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default GE GSD5950 leaving white (soap?) residue

Thanks for the reply.

The mineral cleaning products look promising and we will definitely give that a try as quickly as we can get some.

We have well water as we do not have city water. We do not have a significant mineral build up problem in tubs/showers and sinks, and have not noticed any change other than in the dishwasher.

Since the rinse aid recall issue came up, we only use the rinse aid that is a small hanging basket in the dishwasher. (GE's solution to the problem was to replace the wiring & remove the door insulation (that I paid extra for to get more quiet) that acted as a sponge to contain the leaked rinse aid fluid around the wires. I guess GE believes it is adequate to continue allowing the leak as long as it drains quickly out of the door??? In any regards, I did see the burnt wires that were in our dishwasher door and being unsatisfied with GE's corrective action, we stopped using the rinse aid despenser and I also now have the dishwasher on a swiched circuit that is shut off when not in use) Do these hanging basket things work that much more poorly than the rinse aid despensors?

Thanks again

Yes, the hanging ones work fine.

Try the mineral stop remover.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Check your detergent. It may have been changed to one of the phosphate free ones . If so that is the trouble more than likely. Check on the Cacscade Complete and get the powder or pacs or I have even used the Complete liquid with great results. It is enzyme based instead of bleach based like most liquid/gels.

The Finish Quantum tablets also do very well .