Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge and freezer stopped cooling

Default Fridge and freezer stopped cooling

Model Number: pl4211106
    Brand: Whirlpool

My Whirlpool fridge/freezer have stopped cooling. I noticed last night that the items in the freezer were defrosting. This morning they are completely thawed and now I notice that the fridge is also close to room temperature.

I read some other posts here and did the "diagnostics" to be able to answer the questions I keep seeing posted. The fan in the freezer and under the unit are both running. There is zero frost on the coils that are in the freezer, behind the plastic barrier. The compressor doesn't really sound like it's making any noise, but I've never been down there when it was working, so not sure how loud it should be. However, the compressor is extremely hot to the touch, I can put my hand on it but after about 2 seconds I can't bear it any more.

I unplugged the fridge for awhile to see if anything changed. I then unplugged and replugged it a couple times to see if I could hear anything from the compressor. The only thing I heard was the first couple times I did it I got a loud click about 5 seconds after I plugged it in. However, after the first couple times it stopped. As I sit here typing this I've heard it click a few times. The are a few minutes apart and usually 2 in a row with a 5-10 second gap. The compressor is model EGY60.

I am trying to figure out if it's worth calling a repair man or if I should just buy a new fridge. I just bought my house about 3 months ago so I have plenty of spending to do. I don't want to waste the money on a repair guy if it's not worth it to fix. Also, I don't know the age of this unit as it came with the house.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Joel

It is possible the compressor relay has failed. If you pull it off and shake it, do you hear any rattling inside?
    Justin Shaffer
    In Home Appliance Service Technician

I would be happy to test that. Can you specify what part that is though? I don't really know much about the guts of these things. I will google it though and see if I can find a good picture.
    Joel

Joel,

That model# you posted doesn't show as good, please re-check it.

Its located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling, or below the refrigerator door on the bottom frame.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Ok, I googled it and (surprise!) found another thread on this very website.
    My start relay definitely rattles when I shake it. In fact, little bits of metal fall out of it. I'm not an appliance tech but even I know that's not good. I am reading this thread here: http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...art-relay.html
    Jake posts a set of 4 pictures in his first post there. The pictures are definitely where mine was and what it looks like. However, the link that goes to repairclinic and the picture that associated with that, do not look anything like the my relay or the one in Jake's pictures. I just want to make sure that that I am going to receive it and it will be the right one.
    Also, a couple other things. How confident are we that this will begin working after I replace this part? Does this seem like a pretty straightforward issue?
    Secondly, I read about putting dry ice in the fridge and freezer until it arrives but is there anybody who stocks this type of item?
    Thanks again,
    Joel

Jake,
    you are totally correct. My fault on the model. It's actually: ET1WTKXKQ00.

I don't know why forums hate me and I can never get my photos to show correctly. So instead I'm just attaching the links. Sorry.

Here is the item I'm holding in my hand. Just to make sure that I'm not misleading you on what it is that I have.
    Start Relay 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Start Relay 1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

those little bits of "metal" are actually the PTC relay. Get yourself a new relay/overload and you'll be back in business.
    Justin Shaffer

That's what I like to hear! Thank you Justin. I have spent the last couple hours shopping for a new fridge, something that is not in my budge right this second.
    Would somebody mind posting a link to exactly the part that I need? I know in the other thread I was reading Jake posted a link but I still want to make sure we're talking about the same item (see my pictures, up a couple posts). Also, in that same thread I saw some comments about how the part Jake posted had been replaced by a new part. I just want to make sure I get the right one the first time.

Joel

8201769 is the part number I come up with.
    Justin Shaffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast