Social Buttons
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maytag Neptune MDE5500AYW control panel lights work but dryer won't

Default Maytag Neptune MDE5500AYW control panel lights work but dryer won't

Model Number: MDE5500AYW
    Brand: Maytag

I have a Maytag Neptune MDE5500AYW electric dryer. Lights on control panel work fine. Can change settings and all lights change as usual. Nothing unusual with the dryer door. Bottom push in still there and at the side of the dryer door, the prong looks fine and where the prong goes in looks fine.

Have flipped the breaker and tried it again to no avail. Any ideas? Any suggestions MUCH appreciated!

Lets first check your thermal fuse, it will never start if your thermal fuse is bad, its located on the front of your blower wheel housing, its white. You can ohm it for continuity or jump it just to see if it starts. Make sure you unplug your dryer first before ohm testing it or jumping it.

Here's the repair manual for your model that shows you how to access it:
    www.applianceblog.com/manuals/16023110.pdf

Here's the thermal fuse for your model:
    Manufacturer part number 33001762 is RepairClinic item number 516650

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Might have to call a friend who has some tools to check these things. Will look over simply locating the front of my blower wheel housing tomorrow. I'm assuming the location of this will be found in the Service Handbook you linked? Saved a copy of that to my HD for future use but will start with locating that part. The rest may have to depend on a neighbor when he gets home on Saturday or calling my ex to see how soon he could get down here with his meters to check.

Appreciate the tip-off for the first place to look! Will get that done just as soon as I can!! Thanks much, your reply is appreciated!

Oh someone also asked me what happened when I pressed the "Start/Pause" button...nothing happens and it continues to blink. I can change all the other settings on the control board, the "off" button works to turn the panel off but it's like it's not even recognizing I have hitten the "start" button. Just an additonal FYI.

Yes, check what I said, let us know.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I tried reading the service manual and did word searches on it, hoping it would give me some clue as to how to check this but couldn't find either. Are there detailed instructions to be found anywhere so I can locate these things to check? Help much appreciated!

On Page 7-1 it shows the thermal fuse on the blower wheel housing. You have remove the front panel assembly first.

On page 5-2 & 5-3 it shows how to remove the front panel and front bulkhead assembly.

Jeff has a good site with lots of photos and walks you through it:
    Maytag dryers, how to take apart my Maytag dryer, L shaped door

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Just posting a follow up, changed the thermal fuse first, it looked like it was okay when using the voltage meter but figured at $6 for the part and if it was a common thing to go out on these dryers, while I had it apart, I'd just change it. It was only in the last few days that a friend was able to come double check that I'd put it in right and after he put all the doors back on, he first told me it was working, tumbling and heating again.

He went back about 30 minutes later and the dryer wouldn't turn on again. Someone else suggested it might be the start/pause button but unless it is known to work one minute and not the next...I'm stumped. I just tried it again, a few days later and when I first tried it, no lights were on on the control panel. I went and flipped the breaker off and on and when I came back the lights were on...but it did nothing when I pushed the start/pause button.

And just this second, I went to take a second look to see if the start/pause button was going solid or was staying blinking when I pressed it. Oddly enough when I went in there the lights on the control panel were off again. Pressing any buttons didn't do anything. I went and flipped the breaker switch again and went back to the dryer. The control panel was lit up, but when I pressed the start/pause button, nothing but just blinking.

Could me having to flip the breaker to get the control panel to light up be a symptom of something else.

It sounds like your control panel is the culprit.

Whats the serial# of your dryer? Its located inside the door on the model# tag.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Serial # is 694 954 92GJ (separated just for convenience in reading). If it's the start/pause button only...anyway just that button can be fixed or any place to find a VERY reasonably priced used control panel...as being on employment after having been laid off isn't very conducive to have the $140 laying around like a few I had priced earlier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast