Thread: whirlpool ice maker with IR sensor quit working

Smile whirlpool ice maker with IR sensor quit working

I have a GD5SHAXLQ02 whirlpool model fridge that is two years old with the IR sensor ice maker. It quit making ice about 1 week ago. I removed the icemaker and noticed that the ice/water that was in the well was very small. Put cleaned unit in and waited to see if it would produce ice. Got 2 nice size cubes that did not fall into the door bucket but were sitting on top the plastic comb assy. Took unit out again and thawed/cleaned it...little to no water frozen in unit..did this a couple of more timesand finally no water was coming into the unit. Took off the water solenoid valve, inspected for blockage.. none found and the water side dispenser has had a good strong water flow....took unit out again and jumpered T to H to start a harvest. Water filled unit and froze to solid ice cubes but at this writing (15 hours later) will not eject. The IR sensor passes the light test (although at times it does not light at all when I have been screwing with the ice maker in and out). I also changed the water filter eventhough the red light never indicated to do such....I also blew air threw the ice maker water line after disconnecting it from the valve to ensure no blockage.
    I also did some measurements on the module with a multi meter to ensure the 120 volts are present and the heater is good. ( I will admit that readings on this have been intermittent at times and I don't know if it thawing versus frozen has anything to do with that).
    I thought the problem/fault would stick out like a sore thumb after doing all these things but I am at a loss as to what has failed...Any help would be appreciated.

Does the status light blink or not when its in the on position?

I have seen lots of these boards fail,

Check this thread for the status light indicator test:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...ead.php?t=1688

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

The status light does not blink when the flapper door is held in with the freezer door open.

Quote Originally Posted by ontap55
    jumpered T to H to start a harvest. Water filled unit and froze to solid ice cubes but at this writing (15 hours later) will not eject. The IR sensor passes the light test (although at times it does not light at all when I have been screwing with the ice maker in and out).
    Since the module motor assembly seems to work when you jumped it, and at times the status light does not come on, There's a good chance the IR boards are bad.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Unhappy icicles + solenoid + IR sensor

Icicles were forming in the freezer compartment of our Whirlpool Gold fridge, with built-in icemaker and IR sensor. I read elsewhere to check the solenoid, which we did and found one to be bad. So we ordered the replacement water valve/solenoid unit, which contains 2 solenoids, one for chilled water and one for ice. While waiting for the replacement we removed the ice solenoid, and the freezer made ice continuously. Chilled water continued to work fine.

The new valve unit/solenoid arrived, and we replaced the old one. The new one had different hookups and colors, but the tubing and plugs only connected one way. So we hooked 'er up. Then the icemaker failed completely, and now the LED light for the IR sensor fails to light, except when the fridge is first plugged in it blinks red a few times and quits. Chilled water continues to work, however.

I read that LED light failure is a circuit board problem. Or is it connected to these dang solenoids?

Any help most appreciated.

Kevin T.
    Albemarle, NC

Hi,

Its possible your ice maker sensor boards failed at about the same time,

This thread explains it:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=1688

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Unhappy no luck with circuit boards

For Christmas we bought the replacement circuit boards. Now I get a steady light with the door flap closed, and water filled the ice maker. There is ice (a block of it) in the tray. Now it won't harvest the ice. We removed the ice maker and did the jump T-H, plugging everything back in--no harvest.

The teeth are pointed to the back rear of the freezer compartment. That's the 2 o'clock position from the right side of the so-called fridge, not sure which orientation is meant by 2 o'clock. The teeth are parallel with the fixed teeth pointing to the back rear ceiling of the freezer compartment.

Please don't tell me that the ice maker itself is now broken. That would mean lots of time, effort, and $150, for nothing. What started as icicles in the freezer has become a nightmare of solenoids, circuit boards, and motors.

Disconsolate Kevin
    Albemarle, NC

If you bought the circuit boards from Repairclinic, just return them for a full refund.

It does sound like your ice maker module is bad.

Here is a new ice maker module:
    Icemaker control module kit

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks, Jake, for the speedy reply.

Don't I need to keep the new IR boards since the old ones failed the diagnostics previously?

Also, is the 2 o'clock position of the teeth in the icemaker module mean they are pointing to the rear of the freezer, or the front door? It depends whether 2 o'clock is viewed from the right side of the frldge or the left.

Thanks
    Kevin

Yes, if your IR boards failed the diagnostics, then keep the boards.

The 2 o'clock position means its pointing towards the front door.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts