Thread: Kenmore SxS 1069532880 leaks water on to floor

Default Kenmore SxS 1069532880 leaks water on to floor

My refrigerator, Kenmore SxS 1069532880 is leaking water out where it shouldn't be. I thought it might be the ice maker or water dispenser line but I turned the water off to these and it still leaks. The defrost drain was slightly iced over and I poured hot water thru it and it is clear now. The evaporator pan was completely full so I sucked the water out of it and checked for cracks. None found. As I look under the front of the refrigerator I can see the water leaking off of the wiring right above the back of the evaporator pan. I have not seen any water come out of the defrost drain tube yet. The evaporator coils do not have much frost on them. The refrigerator cools good.
    Two days after I drained the evaporator pan it is almost full again and water on the floor also. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like possibly some water that comes into the ice maker is spilling down the evaporator into the drain.

Check your ice maker fill spout in the back of the ice maker, where that tube puts water in, that tube could be loose or slightly out of place.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Jerry J

You may also want to ensure you have a strong water supply to the refrigerator's water valve. These valves are electrically opened but water pressure closed. To determine if adequate disconnect the line from the refrigerator and with a tall glass attempt to fill it. If the water comes out splashing and bubbling in the glass, good. If it trickles then you have a water supply problem which is allowing water to leak by the solenoid valves of the refrigerator.

Most often I will find a (1) self-tapping on plastic pipe or (2) the valve is on the bottom of a water line.
    (1) Self-tapping valves do not work on PVC pipe because the bevel of the piercing valve allows for the hole to hinge closed again after time. For PVC the hole requires to be drilled out to use a clamp-on valve.
    (2) Valves mounted on the bottom of water lines, particularly metal lines, allow sediment to plug the valve. Best to replace and mount on side of water lines.

About 90 % of my calls on ice makers are related to water supply problems. New installs as well as older units. Even if a plumber was contracted to do the plumbing in a new home, I find this to happen.

Thats very true Jerry!

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Kenmore SxS 1069532880 leaks water on to floor.

Thanks, Jake and Jerry for your help. I turned the water off to the ice maker and dispenser a few days ago but it still leaks. Must be some kind of condensation problem. The fridge is 12 years old and is probably wore out like me. I am pretty sure the defrost heater is defective because I have not seen any water come out the defrost drain that I cleaned out. I dont know if this would have anything to do with an outside leakage or not.
    The water drips off of the bottom left side of the fridge. It is probably time for a new one. Again, Thanks a lot.

Runrex

Default Jerry J

Runrex

A twelve year old refrig is close to it's limit but a SXS is worth a little more effort. Go back to my post and reread it. The shut off you think you closed still could be leaking by. Defrost and condensate problems normally show up inside the box, not outside. And not normally on the bottom of the appliance. Disconnect the supply line from the refrig and check. You may be discarding a good refrig.

Jerry, You was right on. I disconnected the water line from the fridge and the water was still coming out lightly. I put a wrench on the shut off under the sink and it is a slight drip now. Dripping in a bucket I might add. The copper line behind the fridge has a pretty good kink in it which would make it lose pressure. I am going to replace the line with pvc line. The water supply line goes from under the sink up in the attic and down thru the opposite wall where the fridge is. Replacing the water shutoff valve is probably beyond my expertise as I can barely see it. The floor is dry now. Thanks again man.

Runrex

Default update on water leak

I finally found the water leak. The water inlet valve had a pin hole in it that was so small you had to see it with a strong light. A micro stream of water was shooting straight up on to the wires and made it look like something was leaking above the valve. A new valve cured it.

Runrex

Glad you found the problem Runrex!

Thanks for the update,

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts