Thread: Ice maker works intermittently

Default Ice maker works intermittently

Model Number: 106.51572200
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Ok as stated in the title the ice maker only works intermittently. I get about one maybe 2 loads of ice a day. and even then, they don't seem to be right. Some times they have holes in them, as if the little scoopers that dump them out of the trays have made holes in them.

Here are things i have checked:

• I have checked to make sure the line isn't frozen.

• I have checked the "harvest cycle" by sticking a jumper wire in... didn't do anything.
    • I did the same thing with the "L" and "V" to get the water to flow, it did flow.
    • i checked the water pressure. another thread said that about 3.5 oz should come out in 5 seconds. i get about 1 oz in 5 seconds. Low pressure. But this has ALWAYS been the case. for the past 7 or 8 years that we've had it. I played with the line in the basement where it is tapped into a main line, and now i get about 3 oz in 5 seconds. i don't know if that has made a difference yet; i just did it today.
    • I vaccumed the dust and stuff on the radiator vents under the front of the frige when the panel is removed near the water filter.

Based on the "harvest cycle" not working when i short the "T" and "H" i assume it is the entire ice maker module that needs to be replaced. But i am not sure since it does make "some" (about 1 tray a day's worth) of ice.

any help would be appreciated. what should i do next?

Yes, its your water pressure, seem this happen a million times.

Do you have a self-piercing valve on the cold water pipe? Those tend to clog easy, I'd suggest putting a regular valve on it.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is the self piercing type. It seems it has other problems now. I just checked to see what is going on when i read that and it appears that it made it's once daily tray of ice. So i stuck my finger in the tray and it was bone dry. didn't get any water. There was a cube stuck and i pried it out. The scooper arm cycled right then. So i watched it cycle empty.

When it was done i was expecting it to fill up with water.. it didn't. So i waited a few minutes, and when it still didn't fill up i tried the jumper to get the water to come out. Now NO water came out. This worked before, using the jumper and having water come out, that is.

I closed the door and tried the water fountain. It comes out there fine.

Fine? But a weak flow or a good strong flow from the water dispenser?

The first thing I would do is get rid of that self-piercing valve and get a regular valve. Read here:
    Icemakers, what kind of an icemaker do I have, odor problems, icecubes taste bad, filling problems, module style icemakers

Now for water not coming into your ice maker, check for an ice blockage in the fill tube that puts water in your ice maker. On your model the water comes in from the very back wall inside your freezer, check that fill tube, you may need to remove the ice maker to get to it, or pull the refrigerator out from the wall and access it from the back.

Read this to:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...-solenoid.html

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Fine? But a weak flow or a good strong flow from the water dispenser?

The first thing I would do is get rid of that self-piercing valve and get a regular valve. Read here:
    Icemakers, what kind of an icemaker do I have, odor problems, icecubes taste bad, filling problems, module style icemakers

Now for water not coming into your ice maker, check for an ice blockage in the fill tube that puts water in your ice maker. On your model the water comes in from the very back wall inside your freezer, check that fill tube, you may need to remove the ice maker to get to it, or pull the refrigerator out from the wall and access it from the back.

Read this to:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfor...-solenoid.html

Jake
    Yes, good flow from water dispenser now.. after adjustments i am getting about 3 oz of water in 5 seconds of flow time... another thread said I should expect about 3.5 oz for 5 seconds. so it is just a little off. Much better than the 1 oz i WAS getting per 5 seconds. Either way, i will probably change to a better valve in the very near future.

I checked for blockage.. i took the piece off the back of the fridge and i blew thru and i can blow air right out into the freezer, so no blockage there.

I will have to make a "cheater" cord tomorrow and give that a go.
    thanks for the continued help.
    Last edited by crash613; June 26th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Ok, glad to help, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

ok.... .finally got around to checking the Solenoid. the hold up was actually making the cheater cord. didn't want to waste a cord to something. Finally got around to finding a broken clock.

Made cheater and tested as per instructions.

Ice side......... NOTHING.

just for S&G i tried the other side. And it worked. Water came out of the water dispenser.

So, i am assuming i have a bad Solenoid. Doesn't sound hard to fix. Wonder if i can get it local. Where would i look? Home depot? any ideas? online options?

thanks for the continued help.

By the way. Over the past few days the ice maker runs almost non-stop. meaning that it cycles about every 30 min or so, maybe more frequently. of course no ice is falling as no water is coming out.

The strangest part of this all is that it WAS dispensing water at first. in fact, after I made the short wire to plug into the testing holes the first time, when i shorted the specified circuit water would come out.

Only appliance parts stores carry this, look in your yellow pages under appliance repair- parts.

You can also order it here from the link below, but will take a day or 2 to get to you.

You can order it here:
    Manufacturer's Number: 4389177

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Snap!! I found one locally after i posted. The wife is at the gym, which is down the street from the appliance store, so she is picking it up now. I paid $90!! it is only $60 online. Something may be going back... $30 convienence charge is a little hard to swallow.

Yes, ordering parts online is much cheaper.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts