Social Buttons

Thread: Maytag Quiet Series 300 Problem

Default Maytag Quiet Series 300 Problem

Model Number: MDBTT79AWQ
    Brand: Maytag

Maytag Quiet Series 300 does not drain water...about 1" stays in bottom.

Unsure of exact age: Serial Number: 23346785EN

Just bought the house and was pleased to see it had a Maytag dishwasher. First time we used it the dishes weren't so clean but we assumed it was our fault...wrong soap, too dirty, etc. Second time we used it the water would not drain from the bottom. Manually drained it and rinsed. Water stayed again. Disconnected the drain from the plumbing and tried to blow through it...couldn't...figured it was a closed valve. Started washer with drain disconected and water came out readily....so I don't think it's plugged. Started rinse cycle again and stopped it thinking the pump would drain the water...there was a humming sound but it did not drain. Manually drained it again and removed all the stuff in the bottom of dishwasher. All appears OK...no visible clogs...impeller looks OK and freely turns.

Any other diagnostics I can preform??

Any idea what is wrong??

Unsolicited comment: I used to think Maytag appliances were #1 top notch. Expensive, but if you want the best you gotta pay. Was happy to see the Maytag name on our dishwasher in our new house. But now after having searched for issues I am surprised by not on the number of complaints but the variation of all the things going wrong with this specific Model...plus a fire hazard safety recall!! I understand if you sell a million dishwashers there may be a 1000 problems, but there are so many people with issues I doubt that I will buy Maytag in the future.

Thanks for any advice, Bob K

Hi Bob,

Run the Field service test here on page 5:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/16026393.pdf

and see if any components fail.

If no error codes then I remember another member having this same type issue and a new drain motor fixed his here:
    Maytag QuietSeries 200 won't drain
    Whats interesting is that his drain motor and yours use the exact same part# that he posted in his first post, but I checked and that drain motor is currently out-of-stock, but its in stock at our other parts supplier here:
    The manufacturer has replaced part number 99002750 with this item, part number 6-917641. Manufacturer part number 6-917641 is RepairClinic item number 1469555

Remember only on our site can you shop with confidence as all parts ordered from our site come with a 30 day full refund even if it was installed and didn't fix it.

Its fairly easy to install.

Here's the repair manual for your model that will show you how on section 5-34:
    www.applianceblog.com/manuals/16021814.pdf

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

First let my SINCERELY and HUMBLY apologize to Maytag. I'm embarrassed to say that I found the problem...and I am the problem.

Let me start by mentioning (this will give away the solution to the problem) that I replaced the garbage disposal with a new one immediately upon moving in. This is our first dishwasher equipped house.

After reassembling the internals, but leaving the line at the garbage disposal off I ran the rinse cycle and then canceled it and water flowed freely from the discharge hose into a bucket and within the dishwasher was fully drained. Huh??? So I connected the discharge hose to the disposal and repeated...1" of water remained in the dishwasher.

So I asked my wife is she was "Sure" the water drained completely the first time she used the dishwasher, and she said something like "Well, I'm kinda sure...I think so".

So I got on line and found the instructions for the disposal and noted a plug at the dishwasher connection needed to be knocked out...and of course I hadn't removed it.

So again let me apologize to Maytag and praise my 6 year old Quiet Series 300 for working quietly and as it should.

Now I need to find a post to beat my head against for a while

Thanks, Bob K
    Last edited by 87LtdT; July 28th, 2010 at 07:18 AM.

And Jake...let me thank you as well for the very thorough troubleshooting tips. How do I become a permanent member??

Bob K
    Last edited by 87LtdT; July 28th, 2010 at 07:21 AM.

Ahh yes Bob, the garbage disposal plug, yup, that would cause it.

Glad you found that and knocked it out.

To Become a Premium Member(after you register as a free member):
    Click User CP in the menubar, then click Paid Subscriptions on the left side under Miscellaneous. Here's the direct link:

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/payments.php

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts