Social Buttons

Thread: GE Profile Fridge side intermitently hot >85

Default GE Profile Fridge side intermitently hot >85

Model Number: PSS26MSWASS
    Brand: GE

Fridge was bought in Nov. 2007. Twice in the past, roughly 6 months ago and one year ago, the fridge side was wayyy hot. Like 91 degrees on the readout. I'm talking plastic milk jug bulging because it was so hot in there. Thought that was too hot for even a failed fridge in house with 72 degree ambient temp, but chalked it up to door being left open and lights cooking the inside.

Now it has happened three times in last week. Twice was 91-92, last time was 84. The reason I have still chalked it up to door not closing is when I find it in this state, do routine checks, etc, it starts to immediately cool down.

I've got four kids, but the 2nd instance this week, they were threatened with cancelling xmas, blah, blah if they didn't make sure the door was closed. So anyway, I've started to suspect it may be another issue for two reasons:

1. The second time this week it happened, I am 99.9 percent sure the door was closed completely.

2. When I found it at 84, the door was closed for sure, and it had already started to cool down, as I could feel cold air, it just hadn't had time to get cold again.

So now I start reading about failed mainboards and other things that are fairly common with this style of GE side-by-side.

Any ideas what may be happening, or does it seem like it simply is the door not sealing properly? Can the lights get it that hot, if the fridge is "working properly"? Is there some auto cutout that notes a problem and shuts down the compressor so it doesn't burn up? I'm clueless really, just throwing random ideas out there.

Thanks in advance.
    Mitch

Hi Mitch,

It definitely sounds like your refrigerator light bulbs are now staying ON all the time the door is closed.

So either the door is not closing the door switch anymore, or your door switch is bad.

To test this, unscrew the 2 light bulbs from the sockets and see if you still get the same results.

Here's the light switch for your model in case you need to order it:
    Manufacturer part number WR23X10530 is RepairClinic item number 1265930

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, I would like to think it is so simple. But I meant to and forgot to mention in my first post that I cannot get that switch to fail by hand. I've flicked it, pressed it, held it down partially and fully. Thinking about putting a cheap video camera in there and try that. Also, I pulled all the light bulbs out after this last time and I am going to see how that goes. Thanks for the reply.

Ok, yes keep us posted.

Thats the only thing I can think of thats making it that warm in your refrigerator section.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

My GE Profile starting doing this about two years ago. I though the same thing, that the door wasn't shut all the way. A couple months later it happened again, then started happening every month. I replaced the main board and it was OK for another six months, then started doing it again. Same pattern too, happens once, happens again a couple months later, starts happening every month, as of this week is now happening every day.

Something is in the processor logic is freezing up, causing the light to stay on and the fridge won't respond to the temp control buttons. If the light gets hot enough a thermocouple turns it off, but not before everything inside is overheated and spoiled. Unplugging the fridge and plugging it back in resets everything and the fridge starts cooling down again.

A main board replacement "might" solve your problem for a while, but it will come back. My advice to you is ditch this lemon. My wife is out shopping for a new fridge as I type this. Needless to say we're not buying GE ever again.