Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice maker problem

Default Ice maker problem

Model Number: LSC27926SB
    Brand: LG

I am having a problem with the ice maker in my LG LSC27926SB. This refrigerator/freezer is 3 years and 2 months old, and the ice maker has recently starting having a problem. The ice maker will make ice, but it does not seem to be wanting to empty the ice into the ice container (which feeds the dispenser).

I know it makes ice because there is ice in the ice tray. Also, when I press the "Test" button on the bottom of the ice maker unit, the unit does go into a test cycle, and the ice empties into the container, returns to its original position, and water then fills the tray up again.

However, the unit has stopped emptying ice into the container automatically. I would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide.

I am attaching a picture of the ice maker in it's "normal" operating mode. One thing that seems peculiar is that the feeler arm is up. Should it not be down?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080441.jpg 
Views:	919 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	1704  

Yes, the feeler arm should be down.

Push it down and see how it does.

If that doesn't work, then its likely your ice maker is malfunctioning.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
    Manufacturer part number 5988JA1002H is RepairClinic item number 1462027

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

Thanks for your reply. After thinking about what the feeler arm was doing during the test cycle, I wonder if this particular feeler arm is supposed to stay in the "up" position until it empties the tray at which it goes down just long enough to see if it's full. I'm just grasping at straws here

I'm trying to know for sure that the entire unit has to be replaced before spending $100 to repair it. The repair itself is easy as I pulled the unit out and put it back in yesterday in only a few seconds.

Also, a local appliance repair shop here in town as well as LG gave a me a slightly different part number. The number they both gave was 5989JA1005F (although LG's website seemed to indicate that the part number was 5989JA1005D). The local repair guy told me that the "new" ones have a better seal on them to keep them from freezing up. I assumed after he told me this that the 5989JA1005D were the OEM part whereas the 5989JA1005F were the "new" ones.

Also, could you tell me what the "sensor" is on the bottom of the ice tray? I found the service manual for this refrigerator, and they call that part on the bottom of the tray a Sensor. I've read that some ice makers have a small heating element on the bottom to heat up the ice just slightly right before it empties the cubes so that it makes emptying easier. Is that what this is, or is this something else? Could this "sensor" be malfunctioning?

Yes, you can get the ice maker assembly which includes the bracket and everything here(much easier to install):
    Ice Maker Assembly 5989JA1005D Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

I really don't know about your "sensor" question, I quit Sears just as these LG models were coming out on the market in 2005.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

When removing the old ice maker, I see that the cable that plugs into the ice maker seems to be providing more than power. I assume that this cable also allows the electronics (computer) to communicate with the ice maker. Are you fairly certain that the issue is the ice maker kit and not some other part? If so, I'm going to go ahead and order the replacement $100 part.

Thanks,

Yes, fairly certain.

We have a special program here, all parts you order from our links we post are returnable within 365 days for a FULL refund(minus shipping) if they don't fix the problem.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Excellent. Since the second part you posted is out of stock, I ordered the first one. Hopefully it will fix the problem. Thanks again for all the help.

Ok, keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Well both parts were out of stock, so one is being ordered. My ice maker seemed to have stopped making ice all together last week, but last night, it started making it again. The feeler arm is still in the up position (as the previously posted picture shows), so I cannot understand why it would ever empty the ice into the bucket since the arm is up.

This is indeed a mystery!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast