Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GE Profile temperature fluctuation

Default GE Profile temperature fluctuation

Model Number: PSC25SGSCSS
    Brand: GE

OK, I suspect I have a Main Board problem.

We have a GE Profile side by side model # PSC25SGSCSS which is exhibiting temperature fluctuations both in the freezer and fridge.

Freezer set for -2 and fridge 36 degrees F.

Freezer ranges from -4 to 10 degrees while the fridge ranges from about 18 to 42.

Ice making in freezer stops when temp gets up to 0 degrees and ice cubes appears wet and melts/drips in freezer compartment.

I have reset mainboard (unplug power and reconnect) sometimes freezer freezes and often it does not. Food on top tray seems to want to thaw while rest below stays frozen.

Noticed numerous complaints on the forum for GE Profile.

Can not find out if there is a recall or not but want to see if I can fix it myself. Unit is from 2006 and ofcourse it appears that the main board is not covered. (No extended warrentee which I find out now is a good idea to cover electronic mishaps the first 5 years?

Am I right in asssuming that often the Evap Fan Motor is often also a problem/cause for the Main Board to malfunction?

Have not done anything yet, in what sequence should I check things out?

I was thinking, shot down power, check connections to Main Board, check voltage/resistance on pins. What should I disconnect before checking resistance?

Also I'm thinking to get either a whole house surge protector or a surge protector for each unit with Main Boards (shoot, everything now comes with Main Board controls).

Thanks for the responce,

Johannes.

Hi Johannes.

Normal freezer temps for ALL freezers is 0-10 degrees.

So It shouldn't be stopping the ice maker when it gets to 0.

Do you hear the fan in the freezer running when you open the door?

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake,

I do hear a fan running in the freezer compartement when I open the door, the recommended temp setting by GE is 0 degrees. I have always kept it at this setting until a few weeks ago when we noticed the wet/melting problem causing the melt water to drip out freezing again below in the freezer compartment.

I notice that the Icemaker will not freeze anymore untill the temperature drops below 0 degrees (around -2 all works fine but this only lasts for perhaps a few days before the "warmup" exhibits itself again). Currently I have it programmed for -2 but the digital readout shows 4 degrees after about 11 hours not having been opened.

Right now also the refridgerator section reads 42 degrees while it is set for 36.

Thanks for your reply,

Johannes.

Hi,
    If the ice cubes are wet and melting then the freezer temperature can't be anywhere near zero since ice melts at 32 degree F. There is a temperature sensor (thermistor) at the bottom of the freezer that might be defective or because cold air sinks to the bottom it may well be zero degrees on the bottom but at ice maker level it is much higher. If the fan is running in the freezer then I would check 2 things. The freezer temperature thermistor and defrost system. Make sure the evaporator coil is not heavily coated with ice. It should only have a light coating. If it is heavily coated you will not get proper air circulation and the bottom of the freezer will be colder than the top and the refrigerator will not get cold enough either. You can check the coils by taking of the cover located inside the freezer near the bottom and visually inspecting the evaporator coil or as a quick check look inside the freezer and see if the back wall (approximately 18 inches or so from the bottom up has a snowy build up on it. If it has then you have a defrost problem.

Yes, thats exactly what I been thinking, I'd get a freezer thermometer and go by that. They sell them in any grocery or housewares stores.

This is the one I use in mine, you can order it by clicking the photo:

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jack/Jake,

I just got home and checked the back wall of the freezer; there is slight frost/crystals on the back wall and frozen waterdroplets a bit higher up. The temp on the freezer reads now -3 degrees, will get a freezer thermometer and check at various levels. The fridge side still reads 42 degrees.

Have not had the time to remove the back wall, I believe on this model the complete back wall needs to be removed to inspect the coils. On the bottom there is a plastic cover for directing airflow which can be removed but there are no coils, just a series of slots into the backwall cover were the plastic cover directs the moving air into.

I will check this weekend by removing the backwall cover.

Which steps shall I take (or can be taken) to confirm if I have a freezer temperature thermistor and/or defrost system problem. Does the thermistor control this operation or does the Main Board also control this feature?

Thanks,

Johannes.

Hi,

Here's the freezer parts diagram for your model: 04-Freezer Section parts for GE PSC25SGSCSS - AppliancePartsPros.com

Remove items 161,168,213,214

This is the lower panel only. It will expose the evaporator coil.

Item 234 and 241 are your thermistors.

If the evaporator is chocked with ice then the problem can be many. Motherboard, heater, thermistor, defrost thermostat. Most common is the heater and the thermistor. Motherboard is rare. We will help you determine which it is if in fact the defrost system turns out to be the problem.

Also check that the condenser is clean and the condenser fan motor is running. This requires you to pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower panel. You will see the fan motor and condenser coil on the right side.

Finally I just want to confirm again , You did say that the freezer fan motor is running when you open the freezer door..correct?

Yes, I do hear the fan motor running in the freezer compartment.

Johannes.

Hello gentlemen,

This is what I found after removing the back, there is a snowy frost on the coils, don't know if this is considered too heavy though, please advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GE freezer.jpg 
Views:	708 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	1730

Thanks,

Johannes.

ps, I do not see this part on the freezer diagram, is this a defrost unit? It is situated below the freezer evaporator coil and is a glass tube with some kind of metal coil in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defost coil GE.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	1731

I checked again if the fan is running in the freezer compartment, I hear it come on when i press the door swithch in.

Thanks,

Johannes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast