Social Buttons

Thread: Evap fan runs continuously

Default Evap fan runs continuously

Model Number: 106.55529400
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

I have noticed that since Saturday, the evaporator fan on my Kenmore side by side has run continuously. The unit seems to be cooling and the compressor and condenser fan are cycling in normal intervals, but the evap fan won't shut off. I've tried turning the power off and back on(both with the power button and the circuit breaker) as well as cycle the control board through the diagnostic procedure and it still continues to run. When going through the test, both thermistors passed and each component(evap fan, comp, baffle, and def heater) activated on the step. Any ideas? Any other diagnostic tests one can do on these units(digital temp controls with LED water filter status)?

This is very odd, so even when you turn the power off it stills runs?

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Sorry, I forgot to mention turning the unit off stopped the fan, but anytime it is on the evaporator fan is running.

Hi,

Not familiar with this model and I do not have a wiring diagram for it but if it has something called a "liner saver" feature then the evap motor will come on after a certain time period if the control board thinks the freezer door is open. The system will keep the fan running until it sees the door closed. Open the freezer door, the light bulb in the freezer should be on.Push the switch (located inside freezer ,left front liner panel) in and the light should go out. If light switch passes test then my next guess is the control board is bad. Again these are suggestions since I do not have a wiring diagram.

Yes, this is just a fairly basic model, it has the electronic control for the temp. controls and displays, but no other control boards in the back or anything.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you start to notice a temp. rise in the freezer or refrigerator section.

Also check your condenser coil underneath.

Take the bottom grill off in the front, next to the floor, it just snaps off, pull hard. Open both refrigerator and freezer doors first. Then get a flashlight and look at the condenser coils and if there clogged with lint/dirt clean them, use a vacuum then blowing them out with compressed air or air compressor helps alot too.

That would definitely make it run more than normal if the condenser coils are clogged.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I had actually cleaned the coils underneath for the first time several months ago. Thats also how I found the neat little service tech guide stuffed in the grill. Surprisingly, the unit has started working normal now. The evap fan turns off shortly after the cooling stops. Keeping fingers crossed that all is well now.

Ok, hope it keeps working.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts