Social Buttons

Thread: Dishwasher leaking water from underneath

Default Dishwasher leaking water from underneath

Model Number: 363.14579000
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

My kenmore dishwasher started out leaking a large amount of water as soon as my wife started a load of dishes. Water was coming out of the bottom of the dishwasher. I shut off the cycle, cleared all the dirty dishes and pulled unit out from under cabinet. After disconnecting power, water and waste lines, I removed screen inside that appeared clogged, re-assembled, installed a new, longer water line, reconnected drain and AC. I then tried running a cycle with an empty dishwasher. The machine sounded as if it was running, but there was no water coming into the machine. I checked and rechecked that the water line was installed properly, turned on and no kinks in line. I then retried a wash cycle and still no water. I then manually poured about 2 quarts of water into the bottom of the machine and heard the familar sound of water being thrown about. Of course the leaking aspect immediately reappeared and I had 2 quarts of water on my kitchen floor. I believe that replacing the motor, for approxiamtely $165 will correct the current issue, but my main concern is will replacing the motor fix the no water scenario as well or is that another part entirely? What pulls the water into the machine? Is there a seperate pump or valve that opens when machine calls for water? if so, then I would need a seal to resolve the leak and the valve to resolve the lack of water...am I headed down the right path or way off base? I just discovered on the sears parts website that there is a "water valve", if the water valve is damaged, would that cause a leak from underneath? So there could be multiple issues here that seem to have started all at once. Sounds a little far fetched to me but I'm no pro, that's why I'm here asking so many questions. I would appreciate any tips that you could offer as replacing the unit at this time would be very difficult to do as far as costs are concerned. Thanks for your idea's or suggestions. I truly hate calling in repair people when the internet is a wealth of information and I am relatively handy with a set of tools.

Thanks,
    fnolteiii
    Last edited by fnolteiii; November 8th, 2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: discovered additional information that may help isolate issues

Possibly your float is stuck in the UP position, that will cause no water to come in.

The float is #305 here:
    http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...5057-00003.png
    Its just inside the left side of your dishwasher in the front underneath the float dome#302. Also check the float switch#490 directly underneath the float under the tub.

Ok, #815 here is the door vent: http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...5057-00001.png
    It just unsnaps, I have seen that door vent get clogged with crud and that would force water to come out the bottom below the door.

Check that first.

Let us know.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default follow up report on your suggestions

I took the screw and retaining wire off of the float and discovered all pieces extremely dirty. I took the cover and the float and handwashed back to new condition. As for the float switch itself, it seems to "click" when manually lifted and lowered. Due to physical limitations, I must wait to reconnect AC power when wife is around to assist. But you definitely sound like you know your dishwashers! I will report back as soon as wife is able to help reconnect power, basically need her to move unit due to my limitations, sorry it has to be done this way, but to quote the masters," It is what it is"! thanks and I will be checking back with you soon!

Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, first I'd like to thank you for taking time out of your day to help others, nice thing you're doing! As for the vent, if your looking in the dishwasher door, on the left inside is this vent, on the bottom of the vent there seems to be a slot, where one might insert a flathead screw driver and try to "unsnap", as you mentioned. I am notorious for going over on the torque scale and have snapped, busted, ripped, and torn so many things over the years and I'm trying very hard NOT to do that anymore. Am I correct about the location and approach to "unsnapping" the door vent? It very well could be covered in crud as I was surprised when I removed the float and cover only to find massive amounts of crud, which is no longer an issue, whether the float switch is stuck in the up position, could tell you as I'm not a gifted technician like you, it seems to move up and down freely and does make a "click" at some point near the top of it's reach. Thanks again, I will try to gently unsnap the door vent but I can alread see stress points in the door vent where is appears there are posts that snap into a whole in the door, one on each side, if I'm not mistaken. These are the types of things that I have consistently "broken" over the years trying force over technique. Patience is one thing unfortunately, I have very little of... but I am trying to better myself. hahaha

Default seems we were both right

Jake,
    You were right about the amount of stuff in the door vent, and I was right about snapping it off the wrong way. no biggie, I will order a door vent after I resolve all the other issues. No sense ordering a vent if I end up deciding repair expenses outweigh purchase of new model. Can the dishwasher be run, for testing purposes, without the door vent in place? Can't wait to hear back from you on this one. I knew I was going to break the damned thing, I KNEW IT!!! sorry

fnolteiii

Can the dishwasher be run, for testing purposes, without the door vent in place?
    I don't know, I've never broke one before that I can remember.

You can try it and see first.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default vent door

So what is the "proper" technique for removing vent? I pryed and it snapped, what do you do differently? Was always extremely powerful in upper body, more of a curse now that I don't play football or lift in the gym any longer. Still need wifes help moving unit out from under counter so I can hook up AC & test... will keep you advised

Just removing them alot gets you in good practice, I just unsnap it with a flathead screwdriver.

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts