Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FIXED] Whirlpool Gold Microwave & Door Error?

Default [FIXED] Whirlpool Gold Microwave & Door Error?

Model Number: GMC305PDS07
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hi All, before we call someone out, I wanted to make sure this wasn't a simple fix. We have a Whirlpool Gold Oven/Microwave combo unit Model GMC305PDS07. It's around 5 years old. The oven still works fine, but recently the microwave stopped working. It still allows you to enter cook time, but when you push start, it just displays an error that says "Door". The latches and switches seem fine and I already reset the circuit breaker to rule out some funky reset issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gipper View Post
    The latches and switches seem fine
    Have you already tested the switches with a meter or just visual?

Brett

Just visual, getting to the switches looks like mission impossible!

It is a bit hard to get to if you have never done it before. If you would like to try it I can try to find the service manual for you. Just let me know.

Brett

The door error is most likely caused by an open buss fuse located behind the control panel. If you look at the circuit, both the buss and monitor fuse are in series with the interlock circuit. Turn off the power to the unit, removed the two side trim pieces and the panel screws will be on the bottom on each side. Lift up the panel and the buss fuse will be on the back right. You can find a suitable replacement at most hardware stores.

I believe the fuse you're referring to is the very large fuse just to the right as you lift the control panel up. If so, it's testing good (short). Another interesting thing that may help diagnose is that I noticed one time (by accident) that if you opened the microwave door during operation, it did not turn off.
    I always wondered about that, seemed like the switch wasn't signaling properly. I'm pretty sure that it's a bad idea to allow the microwave to continue operating after the door is open.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the switches are beyond my technical ability to access and even if I diagnose them as the issue, I wouldn't know where to get parts. Any tips to find a reputable Whirlpool tech in the North Atlanta burbs?

Thanks!

That is probably a good choice as the switches and the second fuse are located within the microave cabinet and take some work to get to. Based on the microwave still running with the door open, I would suspect an interlock is out of adjustment or begining to fail. Don't worry about being exposed to anything harmful because the magnetron cannot function with the door open. What you are seeing is the fan, turntable and lights working, but not the magnetron. As for looking for a reputable service provider, you can check Whirlpools website for their prefered service network, or I suggest places like Angies list, Yelp, or Google, read some reviews and call and talk to them. If they don't make you feel comfortable and confident, move on to someone else.

Brian/Brett, wanted to follow-up to hopefully help others with this same issue. I finally had someone come out to fix this and sure enough, it turned out to be the second interior fuse (not the main buss fuse). It took 2 Guys nearly 2 hours to diagnose/replace due to the work involved with disassembly/reassembly. In the end they charged me $160 total, which I thought was fair for 2 hours of work (plus travel time) for 2 guys. Apparently these combo units were not designed with ease of service in mind!

Appreciate the assistance and hope you have a Happy Turkey Day.
    Last edited by gipper; November 23rd, 2010 at 07:29 PM.

gipper, I'm having the same problem. Is the second interior fuse behind the control pad in the door, or in the cabinet? Was this fuse the fix for both the "Door" and the "running with the door open"? Thanks for your help! George

Hi MM,

What is your model#?

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast