Thread: Kenmore Elite 665.13129K701 leaving white film and poor cleaning

Default Kenmore Elite 665.13129K701 leaving white film and poor cleaning

Model Number: 665.13129K701
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Hello all:

I have been searching these forums and found several similar issues, but nothing with my exact model. Here are the specs of my dishwasher:

Type: 586-D
    Model: 66513129K701
    Stock # 13129K
    Serial: FU5103079

We have been having cleaning and rinsing issues with our dishwasher. More recently we seem to have dishes with a white film on them. Not white water spots, white film, like they are not rinsing correctly.

I have verified the two filter screens at the bottom of the tub are clean, although the smaller filter seems to be clogged with mineral deposits around the top quarter of the filter. I have ordered a new upper filter assembly which should be here in a week.

In the meantime, in order to further troubleshoot our washing and rinsing problem, I see several references to a "chopper" in the bottom of the tub needing to be replaced. I looked at the parts view of our model and I do not see a chopper. Could someone confirm our model does not have a "chopper" please?

I also see I should inspect the check valve in the drain hose as a possible suspect. Is that the case with this model too?

I will add I noticed some standing water on top of a dish yesterday and the water appeared to be a little milky looking, not clear. I would assume the last water cycle in the dishwasher should be purely clean water, so milky water could be an indicator of something.

Let me know what else I can check. The unit seems to be fine otherwise, such as pumping out water and having sufficient water pressure.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

check the model number again please

Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    check the model number again please
    Model: 66513129K701

This may not be new information, but my wife found this article referring to the recent change all dishwasher detergent manufacturers had to abide by earlier this year (2010). This may help answer some questions for folks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/19/sc...lean.html?_r=1

From the article:

"Now that the content in dishwasher detergent has plummeted to 0.5 percent from as high as 8.7 percent, many consumers are just noticing the change in the wash cycle as they run out of the old product."

"Elise Jones, a 32-year-old mother of two in Chatham, N.J., and a blog editor for Babybites, a group for new and expectant mothers, said she noticed “a white dusty film” on her dishes and children’s cups starting about a month ago. “I thought it was the dishwasher,” she said, before she heard of the change in formulas."

The manual for our dishwasher states: "If dishes are not cleaning correctly and you have hard water, you may need to switch dishwasher detergent. You may need a detergent with a phosphorus content of 8.7%." According to the article, even if we could find detergent with phosphorous in it, by 2013 it will be illegal to sell. Suppliers can sell what they have now and have to have it gone by 2013.

Yes, I found the model#, No, yours does not have the chopper as other Kenmore's do.

Here's a parts diagram of your pump/motor parts:
    http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...0052-00006.png

I've never worked on this model, but possibly jackofalltrades has and can assist you further.

Yes, that change in the detergent phosphorus content will likely cause more issues.

For the white film issue:
    When I lived in Tucson, Arizona this was a major problem, I would always recommend my customers to buy this product:
    Citric acid- mineral deposit remover

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Yes, I found the model#, No, yours does not have the chopper as other Kenmore's do.

Here's a parts diagram of your pump/motor parts:
    http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...0052-00006.png

I've never worked on this model, but possibly jackofalltrades has and can assist you further.

Yes, that change in the detergent phosphorus content will likely cause more issues.

For the white film issue:
    When I lived in Tucson, Arizona this was a major problem, I would always recommend my customers to buy this product:
    Citric acid- mineral deposit remover

Jake
    Thanks for the quick reply, Jake.

Your welcome.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for the article. It was very informative. Consumers rates Finish Quantum
    as the best they tested. I have many customers who swear by that product. Seems its time release formula makes it very effective.
    You mention that "The unit seems to be fine otherwise, such as pumping out water and having sufficient water pressure". How did you determine that it pumps out ok and has adequate pressure?
    As for the check valve in the drain hose, it is there to prevent backflow of dirty water from the waste pipe that the hose connects to (usually located under the sink). If it fails dirty water could back into your dishwasher causing poor cleaning. You can disconnect the drain hose from the waste pipe and blow into it. If the check valve is doing it's job you should not be able to blow into it . This checkvalve is also a common place for food particles to hang up causing a reduction of flow during the pump out phase.
    As for chopper , it is part of the pump motor and is not sold separately to the best of my knowledge . You can take the pump out and inspect the inlet to see if the chopper is broken . A broken chopper can lead to food particles that have not been chopped adequately clogging the pump inlet resulting in a corresponding loss of water pressure to the washer arms.
    Any blocked screens of course reduce pump pressure to the washer arms. So if the screen is 25% clogged that would result in 25% less water flow to the pump inlet.
    Lastly make sure the heating system is working properly.Water that is not adequately heated diminishes cleaning capability dramatically. I've seen installers connect the water supply line to the cold water pipe.
    Hope this helps

Rather than start a new thread I have this exact same model and exact same problem only that I have water standing in the bottom of the washer after all the cycles complete without error. I believe my problem is due to the standing water which can be drained after the cycle is complete by using the Cancel/Drain button. The next wash is better but not as good as it used to do, even using the same box of dishwashing detergent for several years now. Bought a big box at Sam's Club.

The standing water is about half way up to the heater element. If it was much higher it would come out the door.

Under the bottom kick panel was a large sheet folded of diagnostic stuff, including how to run the quick cycles, and how to manually speed even that up to move to the next and the next. Again no flashing error codes.

The big sheet said to start by disconnecting the drain hose and fill with water. No backflow. Blew in the hose and could not push anything back into the dishwasher so it passed that test.

Put drain hose in a bucket and ran an empty full cycle w/o detergent. Perhaps two gallons came out during the cycle? (I didn't accurately measure). But the Cancel/Drain after I observed the now usual amount of standing water more than doubled the quantity in the bucket. Plus it drained all the way out until the drain motor spun 30 seconds or so with no water. The total quantity of water for the cycle and the Cancel/Drain almost filled a 38 pound cat litter bucket.

Figured out how to remove the drain pump with a 90° twist. That was fun! But no blockage or debris. Same for the sensor. My prime suspect is currently this sensor. It was clean. Forgot to mention I previously drained and put a quart of white vinegar in the washer and ran a cycle then let it soak a day or two. That cleaned up a lot of accumulated white slime.

Based on sounds it seems to run the cycles and spray water everywhere inside. Heater element certainly works.

What next?

Tried replacing the temperature/level sensor. That seemed to fix but the problem persisted as sometimes a little water left, sometimes a lot.

Tonight I used shop vac to extract water from the tub and ran a cycle with the drain hose routed to a bucket. NOTHING came out during the cycle. Very little flow when using the reset/drain button. Tried using the shop vac on the drain hose while the reset/drain cycle was running but didn't get any more out. So finally I vac'ed the tub again and pulled the unit.

Pulled drain motor and noticed it ran nicely when the reset/drain cycle was started. It started, then stopped, then started and maybe stopped again before running continuously. Perhaps that is a dance to get it started in case something solid is wedging the paddles?

While I could pass water through the drain hose I said to heck with that, the problem has to be in the hose so I took the entire assembly off. An extension was clear and flowed reasonable volumes but the section which looped up the side of the washer didn't flow nearly as well. Closer examination showed a discoloration/blockage about 18" from the exit. A very long Camelbak pipe cleaner dislodged a piece of aluminum foil. But there was still a blue/green blockage. Forcing water through the hose with the pipe cleaner prodding the blockage got them loose from the pipe corrugations. Was two pieces of brittle plastic about 3/8" x 1/2".

In any case I think those two little pieces sometimes blocked the hose and then when a piece of aluminum foil tried to pass the hose was almost totally blocked.

Put it back together. Started an empty cycle to help wash out the old accumulated crud. Pretty darn sure its fixed now.