Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Aid Superba Ice Maker problems

Default Kitchen Aid Superba Ice Maker problems

Model Number: KSCS23INSS00
    Brand: KitchenAid

Icemaker has stopped working. The door water and ice motors work fine. The optics test fine. I took the icemaker out. The "fingers" were at the 8:00 position with just a bit of ice in the bottom of the tray. (It had evaporated, evidently.)
    After reading the threads : I took the thing apart: no plastic parts or gears broken on the module. I removed the motor and reset the fingers to the home position (2:00). Put it all back together and verified that the water tube input was not frozen. (I didn't check the fused wire on the harness.) Went to bed in the hopes that there would be ice in the AM. (Hope is what keeps us alive.) Next day: The ice tray has cubes, but the fingers are frozen in the ice at 8:00. I checked the harness (which was very cold) and got no resistance in the black wire (blown in-line fuse?) Question: is this fuse thermally regulated? When the resistor which is clipped to the icemaker body warms up, does it reset itself? (They want $43.00 just for the short harness!) I think if I just replace the harness I'm merely treating the symptoms. Is the little motor in the module unit the culprit? (They want $114. for the module.) I'll probably just replace the unit ($143.) but it REALLY bothers me. This thing is just over a year old. Besides, I want to know what's wrong. Help, Jake!

Ok, you are the 2nd member this week to say they no continuity in that thermal in-line fuse, then later have continuity, thats not right, once that fuse goes bad, there is no reset that can automatically make it have continuity again.

Just order the ice maker assembly, it even comes with a new wire harness.

Its currently $116 here:
    Complete icemaker assembly

Manufacturer's Part#: 2198597

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Red face I wasn't clear

Please excuse me for not being clear. The black wire has total continuity (I stated that there was "no resistance"-my bad choice of words.) So, if I have water fill, and I have optical systems "go", but the "fingers" get frozen in ice at 8:00 (even after being reset to the "home" 2:00 position) then I would surmise I have a "slow" or broken motor in the module which move the fingers, or a bad heater, not releasing the ice. Is this correct? (I know I'll need a new unit, I just want to understand what's wrong and which parts are bad.)

Thanks, Jake.

Exactly, bad heater.

Its better to order the complete ice maker assembly when this happens.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default complete assembly?

Are the module unit (the thing with the motor and gears) AND the icemaker (tray, heater, "fingers") 2 part numbers? And how did the fingers get stuck in the ice? They must have been "out of sync" and in the 8:00 position when the water fill happened (Even though I started with the tray empty and the fingers at 2:00.) What would cause that?
    Last edited by gtoira; December 9th, 2010 at 08:28 PM.

Yes, they are 2 parts, but when open it up to change the heater assembly, your breaking the thermastic seal thats on the ice maker thermostat, so you have to order the thermastic as well, and those 2 parts alone are equal to a new ice maker complete.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default It's all in the timing?

Thanks for the info, but I never did understand how the fingers got stuck in the ice. They would have had to move into the water before it froze. That indicates some kind of bad timing? Or the heater didn't shut off at the proper time (also a timing issue) and melted the cubes allowing the fingers to get in there? What controls the "timing"?

Ok, when you said you have cubes in the ice tray, they are in ALL the cube slots? and they are full to the top?

The ice maker thermostat senses that the cubes are frozen and thus will cycle, if the cube slots are not all full of ice, it can cycle prematurely and the fingers get stuck in the ice.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Partial cubes?

Yes, all the slots are filled, but it seems 2/3 of the way. Of course I reset the thing the previous evening at 8 PM and checked it again at 9 AM. (I thought the smaller cubes were due to evaporation after bveing stuck in the icemaker and having the cold air blow over them all night.

Ok, then it sounds like all the cube slots are fine with ice in them.

Order the ice maker, you should be back in business.

We have a special program here, all parts you order from our links we post are returnable within 30 days for a FULL refund(minus shipping back) if they don't fix the problem.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast