Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenmore Range error code F-1

Default Kenmore Range error code F-1

Model Number: 790.75902993
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Suddenly today the range beeps and displays an F-1 error code. I can stop it by pressing cancel, but sooner or later the range beeps again.

Anyone familiar with this? Thanks.

Depending on the exact range model number, F1 can indicate a problem in the electronic control, its keypad (which may only be available with the control) or sometimes even the oven sensor.

The first thing you can try is disconnecting the appliance from power for several minutes to see if that clears the problem. If not, some investigating will likely be necessary.

JFYI

BTW. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Thanks.

jbry wrote:
    Thanks.
    Did disconnecting the power temporarily, work?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Well, it hasn't done it since I asked the question. It did it for two days before and then stopped.

But if it does do it again, disconnecting it will be my first step.

thanks again

Default F1 Code Possible Solution

We have a Kenmore range; I am unsure of the manufacturer. Our oven controller recently displayed an F1 error code. The F1 code would only be displayed when the oven was warm, I suspected the oven temperature senor. After 5 service calls and 4 electronic oven controls the service technicians finally replaced the oven temperature sensor, this appears to have fixed the problem. If you have a similar problem (i.e. F1 code is displayed only when the oven is warm), especially if replacement of the electronic oven control has not fixed the problem, you should suspect the temperature sensor. The technicians may insist that this is not the problem but, with a little pressure, you should be able to convince them to at least try it. If you have some experience with electronic circuits you may be able to test the temperature sensor yourself. The sensor is usually located in the upper left corner of the oven. After removing the sensor, connect it to an ohm meter. At room temperature the temperature sensor should produce a reading of about 1.1kohm. As the sensor is heated (a lighter does the job well) this value will steadily climb to about 1.6kohm at 350*F. The resistance should steadily drop as the sensor cools; however, with our sensor its resistance would suddenly jump to very large values (~25Mohm) as it cooled. If your sensor does something similar it is most likely the problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks the good information on that F1 code.

Lots of times I have found that the F1 code can be a false reading from the control board, as F1 tells the tech. they need to change the control board, as it was on yours. So the F1 on yours was a false reading, and they keep changing the control board. I myself always would always order the control board with the temp. sensor, just to cover my bases, as the temp. sensor can give a false reading too.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default FU F1 Code!

Here is what I do to get around the problem.

1st so you don't think I'm mistaken, I accidently discovered this by methodically trying to solve the problem.

Disconnecting the power and waiting however long doesn't work. I will stop the beeping but it will not allow me to use the oven. The control buttons work right up to the point of hitting and then it just looks you me. Eventually F1 will returns usually a few mins.

So I took the control panel out one day to see if I could indentify the clock chip. I thought I'd try to replace it on the board. I couldn't so i put it back together.

At that point I realized that the clock now display military time. WTF! but the good news is the oven now worked and continues to work for months.

Then one day it F1'd again. So I turned the power off and waited like all day. Powered it back up, and no good still F1.

I powered it back down and lifted the front panel. I disconnected the ribbon cable from the board, waited,,, then re-connected the ribbon cable.

I powered it back up, still military time and the oven worked.

That was more than a year ago. The other day it F1'd again. I decided that I would look into the problem again perhaps go ahead and get a new control panel.

Searching online I found this forum. After reading about the reoccuring problems, It occured to me that replacing the board would be a waist of time and money.

So to triple check my work around. I powered down the oven, waited the re-powered. Problem still there.

Powered down again, removed the six screws and lifted the front panel, carefully reached down and disconnected the ribbon cable. Waited a few mins(why I don't know) the re-connected the ribbon cable.

Now my oven is working cooking in military time. I guess that will have to do.
    Last edited by tpntx; April 22nd, 2006 at 08:24 AM.

Default connection at the ribbon

I just found this great blog. Some time ago through the process of elimination, I discovered that the ribbon connector was the weak link in the F1 error problem.
    The problem, and the fix are described in the archives of this blog. Last April, tpntx wrote about the ribbon connector as the problem with the F-1 error. I have been adjusting, and cleaning the ribbon connection for a couple of years with some success. At first the adjustment would last a few months, but lately but the connection is getting less reliable. Can the ribbon and/or socket be replaced, or reconditioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidsongs
    I just found this great blog. Some time ago through the process of elimination, I discovered that the ribbon connector was the weak link in the F1 error problem.
    The problem, and the fix are described in the archives of this blog. Last April, tpntx wrote about the ribbon connector as the problem with the F-1 error. I have been adjusting, and cleaning the ribbon connection for a couple of years with some success. At first the adjustment would last a few months, but lately but the connection is getting less reliable. Can the ribbon and/or socket be replaced, or reconditioned?
    Hi,

What's the model# of your range?

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: Help me find my model number.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast